Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Port n' Polish

Old 04-20-2002, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port n' Polish

Is it possible to get a machine shop to port and polish my Stock TB and IM?

what should they bore it out to?

approx how much will it cost to do this?

Will this void my warranty? (how will anyone know at Hyundai shop if its stock parts)
Old 04-21-2002, 06:16 AM

http://www.teamsr.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c;f=16;t=001811

Yep it's possible but I wouldn't do it with anyone who didn't have proper experience.

You can't void the whole warranty by changing only one part, they have to prove direct causality to say that modifying one part caused failure in another. Modifying the TB will void the warranty on it alone, but if you bore the stock one it doesn't actually look very different; they'd have to measure it closely to tell it was modified.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:52 AM

that was the actual post i was looking at before i put mine up..

what kind of gains can i expect from porting and polishing my tb and im?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Honda VFR1200

Right now Im porting heads for a V8 and it really depends on the flow... if you get someone that knows what there doing they can probally do a pretty good job... would be alot of work on that intake man... probally be easier to get some alum... and some mandral bent tubes... and make a new intake... now as for the throttle body... IS yours stock? a it will probally cost you about 200 bills for it... unless you got some type of hook up.. might be better to buy one that is already cast bigger... you know also you when you do all thoes mods.. and you make the intake man bigger you can cause turblance in the intake ports on your heads... are you haveing those done... if not your going to hurt the stock flow... its alot to think about when your porting things out... sometimes you don't relize what you got tell you get in to the project.. and you spent 5000 and its still not done... best thing is plan plan plan...
Old 04-21-2002, 05:54 PM

a forum member by the name of onpol bores out TB's and IM

They do a real good job,... and its all stock parts

Many forum members have gotten their stuff bored out through him and i havent heard of anyone complain
Old 04-22-2002, 09:31 AM

woah woah woah ignoreance .. what are you saying?

yeah my tb is stock.. everything is stock.. all i have so far is CAI and strut bars..

My Plan is to have my IM port n polished, TB port and polished and engine port n polished...now your saying dont do it?? .. turbulence?? i dont understand... i though this sort of this was good for your engine..

please do explain
Old 04-22-2002, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Honda VFR1200

Give me your email address... i can send you a pdf.. that i drew that may help you.... cus you said intake manifold first now you have said that and the block... you mean heads.. or here is mine email if you want it and i will send you the file ignoreance@collegeclub.com
Old 04-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

^AnDre^:
that was the actual post i was looking at before i put mine up..

what kind of gains can i expect from porting and polishing my tb and im?
First off, it is NOT a port and polish. It is a BORE job.

The TB is bored out to 58mm. That is the maximum that the stock TB can be bored to.

Onpol also...
IM is bored out to match, and the IM ports are enlarged to match the IM/Head gasket. They do some MINOR polishing in the last 4-6 of the intake runners.

This has been dynoed to show 3.5 HP and 3.2 Ft lbs of torque on a BONE STOCK motor WITH the airbox, minus resonator.

you will FEEL a much larger gain, as the increase in throttle response is so much better.

This is NOT a Port and Polish.
A port and Polish would be polishing and reshaping the head around the intake ports. it would also involve polishing the valves themselves, and regrinding new angled seats onto the valve and valve seats.

Onpol charges about $300 for the work he does to the TB and IM. Most port and polish jobs are about $500. The only one who has ever had head work done was RED. He never really got the gains properly dyno'd...so there's not telling how much HP he gained from the work.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:15 AM

Random:
The only one who has ever had head work done was RED. He never really got the gains properly dyno'd...so there's not telling how much HP he gained from the work.
I have also done cylinder head work as did RED.When i did the TB and port match the IM as well as the Cylinder head i gained about 9HP at the wheels.So if the TB gives you 4HP athe wheels then i gained about 5HP at the wheels for Head work.
Depending who you take it too they can charge you outrangious prices to do the work.
It wasnt really worth the money,BUT i got a pretty good price so i did it anyways
Old 04-23-2002, 10:17 AM

9 Hp?!?!?!?!!

WTF?!!?!

my buddy port n polished his F-150 and gained some liek 25 hp... why ours so little..

ok.. so whats the difference then between port n polishin and boring out?

i wanna get some work done to my car.. and i like sleeper.. i dont like shown off my car specially to the cops..lol..

and i though you gained large from this sort of work...im not about to throw a ricer exahust on my car, i wanna work with the engine and i dont have the cash to spend on a turbo..
so far ive been settin up my car suspension wise.. pretty soon im gettin my new rims and eibach pro-kit suspension and anti-roll bars..

i dont want to spend 299 -399 US on a TB when i can get mine bored out to the same size for under that price for canadian. If all it requires is boring out i can get that done almost free (connections)... thats why i was gonna do it.. then get it port n polished..or is it not even worth it?