Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Picked Up A 98 Tibby Fx...

Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys...I'm new here, but it looks like there is a wealth of info to be learned from the site. I'm not new to modifying vehicles, and enjoy doing my own wrench twisting, etc...there honestly isn't much I can't do when I set my mind to it.

My current ride is a 99 Tahoe 2 door 4x4, and it runs great, but I drive almost exactly 100 miles round trip to work each day. Can you say "GAS HOG"?

I ran across a 98 tibby FX that is in real clean shape, it was my nephews fiances old car.

It runs fine, but has problems with the auto tranny...I didn't think much about it considering I picked it up for $500.

It doesn't act like the torque converter is slipping, but it has issues changing gears, and some times it will "drop out of gear", and also, it has no, I mean NO reverse at all....

From what I have read online, I am leaning towards a 5 speed swap (7 of the 8 vehicles I have owned were manuals).

But for now, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to get this tibby patched together enough to get it on the road?

Thanks in advance,

KC
Old 06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Go to the dealership nearest you. Purchase a filter for the transaxle oil, and a full change's worth of ATF. Never use anything but the manufacturer's specified fluids in that transmission - the clutches will suffer damage. Your lack of reverse may be from old fluid, or bad clutches, or a combination (or something else).
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Worst case deal with the 4x4 a little bit longer and swap the trans.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM

How much ATF fluid should I need to change it out?

Also, I just read that a bad pulse generator can cause a harsh 1-2 shift...that is one of the issues I am having...and I honestly don't think it has ever shifted out of 2nd....@ 50 MPH, the tach registers almost 4k...that seems awfully high for even a four cylinder....my old 200SX ran about 2k @ 50...hell, my Tahoe runs 1,800 RPM @ 75 MPH...

I ran some Xtrans through it, similar to Sea Foam Transmission cleaner...it seems to have helped some, but not much...

KC
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

You need to replace the sensor on the automatic transmission. My Elantra has a intermittent symptom that would cause a harsh downshift, but took nearly six months to throw a CEL. For a full drain, I believe its 14 quarts, which includes what in the torque converter, and use only OEM transmission fluid.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

^ for a flush maybe. Call your dealer and ask or consult the manual. IIRC it's 6 or 7 quarts.

You should be able to tell that it has shifted. Give yourself a long stretch of empty road and go from a stop, listening to the engine (or monitoring the tachometer). The engine noise will change when the shift happens.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 PM

I talked to a tech at our closest stealership....he said to change the filter, I would need 5 quarts...

It takes off fine in 1st, jumps out of gear, then slams into 2nd...bad enough to bark the tires. Since I ran the Xtrans through it, it seems to have calmed it down alot....but while running some of the backroads around here, it will "jump out of gear"...then I'll have to drop it into N, then shift back to D....go figure...

I'm going to change the filter and fluid and see what that does...

KC

Oh yeah....the parts guy said that the filter kit was $31.04, and the ATF fluid was $8.05/quart....

KC
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

You will need to replace the sensor on the transmission I told you about. I can promise that. Also, there is no filter kit on these. It's just a mesh screen that can be washer.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

The filter in my transmission was foam, and it was full of black sludge. It's kind of a wonder it was still running at all.

And the fluid is made from unicorn pee, so yes it does cost a bit more than your Jiffy Lube special.