Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Performance Question

Old 09-09-2002, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

babyboyb
[QB]I would like to atleast double stock.QB]
Dude, if you want that kind of power, you're looking into a lot of work and a lot of $$$$ put down for it. If you wanna go that far you may want to look into a standalone engine management system, and it would also let you add any upgrades you want to after you figure close to 300BHP isnt enough

Give it some thought, and plan your project according to your budget. Dumping every cent you have on your car is a very bad financial decision, unless you plan to live in it.

Good luck bro!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:13 PM

Sorry to burst your "I'm not putting all of my money in it" bubble, but you are not going to make it there (300 whp) on the stock internals of your engine. To get that power, you will need turbo or lots of nitrous.

Full stand alone ($1000 on up)- Haltek, Motec, Perfect Power, I think even HKS. These are expensive, and are needed to run a good turbo setup on the beta (darn MAFS). Oh yeah, the price is just the brain. You need gobs of other stuff to make it work, then a good friend with a dyno, or $100 bucks an hour. Install will be a good class in soldering and wiring.

Turbo manifold ($250 -$1000)- Log style or equal length runner? There are questions in just this. Pre-made or custom? Search for it and you can find some already made up parts for this.

Turbo ($300 on up)- This is a call that needs to be made by you, depending on what you want to make for power and where your powerband will be. Lots of turbos out there, not just any turbo will do. If you get something that spools up quick, you may be way outside of your efficiency range at high rpm's. You can, however, match turbos to our motors effectively.

Exhaust (how much do you want to spend?)- This is another judgement call, dump right outside of your engine bay for NO backpressure and great spooling or run that custom mandrel bent 3" exhaust for a killer deep sound and a very light wallet.

There is a myriad of other parts that you will need (oil lines, gauges, tuning time, lots of costly internal engine parts, intake piping, intercooler, injectors, etc.) Now before some people come in yelling and screaming, I know that some of the people on the board have gotten parts for prices that blow what I quoted away, but this is just a general outline. I too wish I could find a garrett T3 with the exact trim and A/R that I want for $50 off e-bay, but I am not holding my breath.

I think you have an idea of what you will start to spend to do this project. $5000, easy. $10,000, very possible. Now, for a 200-225hp setup, your options become a little less costly. Those, once again, have been outlined in many other posts. Use the search button on the top right part of the screen and you will find hours of reading at the tips of your fingers.

As always, everyone here on TSR is here to help people that choose to help themselves out first.

[ September 10, 2002, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Tib in CB ]
Old 09-11-2002, 03:21 AM

well for 285

pistons
rings
injectors
fuel management system
turbo
manifold
piping
intercooler
gauges
clutch
BOV
exhaust FULL no half ass catback system
Tires If not... those michelins will have you squealing like a bIaTch!

TUNING!!!

well thats about it

i know i forgot some stuff
Old 09-11-2002, 03:22 AM

BTW,... anything over 300whp with a turbo will need rods
Old 09-11-2002, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Dont forget the blockwork, helps keep internal stresses to a minimum and makes a bit of a difference when it comes to even laoding of the recirocating components.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:34 PM

There is no "performance chip" for your Tiburon
UMMM< wrong, try ALPINE DEVELOPMENTS They have a turbo, or supercharger, and a UNI CHIP that can be fitted to your car. Also HDK Motorsports has somekind of ECM upgrade!!
Old 09-12-2002, 05:24 PM

HDK ECU UPGRADE
ALPINE
Yeah, there's absolutely no performance chip available for your car hahaha ( sense the sarcasm)
Old 09-14-2002, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The HDK ECU upgrade is for the MAP beta1. Go ahead. Try and put one on your North American MAF Beta1. Do a dyno before and after. If it will even RUN...

The Unichip will work on ANY OBD-i or newer vehicle. You might as well consider the S-AFC a "chip". Their not. They are PIGGYBACKS, not chips. There ARE NO CHIPS FOR NORTH AMERICAN SPEC Tiburons/Elantras unless you want to remove your ECU and SEND it somewhere for reprogramming.

well for 285

pistons $400 UFB or $700 From Ross.
rings (included in above pistion price)
injectors (440cc to 550cc Units $350 to $500)
fuel management system (Haltek $1200, Unichip $800)
Tuning of Above ($250 to $500)
turbo ($100 Used on ebay to $3000+)
manifold ($200 through KORE to $2000+ custom)
piping ($150 to $300 depending on materials and shop)
intercooler ($200 used on ebay, $500-$600 UFB $1500+ new from HKS or Apex)
gauges (A/F Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Boost, EGT, Coolant temp)
clutch (Stage3 $300, Stage 4 $400)
BOV ($50 used to $500 new)
exhaust FULL no half ass catback system ($250 to $500)
Tires If not... those michelins will have you squealing like a bIaTch! ($500 for tires mounted and balanced)