Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

overdrive button

Old 02-04-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdrive button

My overdrive button wont stick. If i hold it down it will kick into overdrive but as soon as i let go it pops back out and goes back into drive.. Right now i have tape over it to save gas. smile.gif but its a pain everytime someone pulls up next to me and wants to race i just race in overdrive. lol. so i dont have to put the tape back on. haha. im lazy. any ideas why? how to fix it?

also what is the little switch for? when i put it on power it doesnt fell ANY different to me??
Old 02-04-2005, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Try replacing the switch with an On/Off toggle switch. Or see if someone has a replacement available. It sounds like the locking tab inside the switch has cracked or busted.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:00 PM

Can i take the shifter apart??? how?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

...start by removing the screws on the front of the shifter plate.
it isn't hard, i don't have an exact answer because i only did it once, but you have to take the screws off, lift the shifter up, remove the shifter plate surround to get underneath, then disconnect the cables/wires, there are 4 more big screws underneath-remove them, now u should be able to take the shifter off of the rod (be careful, the shift button is spring loaded and the spring will fly away, i spent like 20 minutes looking around for mine when i did it.)
yeah thats not a good writeup, but u get the idea..just use common sense it isn't that hard-
Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 PM

haha.. i hate taking that thing apart. i have broke some of the tabs of and i cant seem to get the dash piece with the ashtray back on right. it sticks on some. LOL. here we go again. thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Ok, maybe a dumb question, but what is the overdrive button for. Why would I want my car out of overdrive? Is it better for racing when it is off? Please don't tear me a new one....
Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 PM

Overdrive is for saving gas..I don't think you want to race with it.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:09 PM

woah, somewhere where i can input real serius comments, with overdrive off the tib accelerates faster, also shifts at higher RPM's, it also has better take off while driving, and feels to me like acceleration/gas pedal action is much more responsive, if your planning on any racing definatly go with overdrive off, fuel economy goes down but its faster, but once u start going to 5.5RPM's on 3rd gear turn on Overdrive, like usualy when im racing and hit like 5.5RPM's on 3rd i turn it back on for the extra gear which allows me to go on faster without pushing the engine to redline, with that u could probably reach 125ish, which is like around my top average speed.

!~EDIT~!

After driving agressivly for like 3 or 5 minuts with overdrive off the ECU just gets better, what i mean is like it becomes even more agressive if u have it off for a some time.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Kit-Fox)
woah, somewhere where i can input real serius comments, with overdrive off the tib accelerates faster, also shifts at higher RPM's, it also has better take off while driving, and feels to me like acceleration/gas pedal action is much more responsive, if your planning on any racing definatly go with overdrive off, fuel economy goes down but its faster, but once u start going to 5.5RPM's on 3rd gear turn on Overdrive, like usualy when im racing and hit like 5.5RPM's on 3rd i turn it back on for the extra gear which allows me to go on faster without pushing the engine to redline, with that u could probably reach 125ish, which is like around my top average speed.

!~EDIT~!

After driving agressivly for like 3 or 5 minuts with overdrive off the ECU just gets better, what i mean is like it becomes even more agressive if u have it off for a some time.

lol, i think he knows all of that kit. he was trying to figure out why his switch won't lock in place.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:57 PM

i got an even stupider question but where's the overdrive button at LOL. I must be completely blind