Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Which one is better?

Old 02-12-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one is better?

For the people how has installed whatever these two kind of pulleys ( lighten pulleys )... which one is better for performance??....

Water and power steering pulley??

or just the underdrive pulley???

Which one will be better???

any thoughts??

thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Both at the same time would be the best obviously... if your buying only one then the crank would get the most gains... but some people think its bad for your engine as they don't come with a harmonic balancer. Either one is going to get gains though.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:57 PM

I only have the power pulleys right now. The crank will be going on soon tho. But anyway, when I installed the power pulleys you could fell a definate difference. Now it wasnt the same as when you slap on an AEM intake or anything, but you could feel that there was additional power.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:34 PM

bad for the engine??....

anyway.... so you only have the power pulleys.. and you notice the difference!..... where did you get it??... I was lokking on Kspec but they only have the crank..........

about the power pulleys............ would be like those two pulleys = crank pulley, ( talking about making power ) I know that is not actually making power but..........
Old 02-12-2005, 06:43 PM

Yes, the powerpulley set does make a difference...I would recommend them to anyone..but, if you can't afford the set, just get the crank pully for now...people have posted in the past that they may cause potential problems but, to my knowledge, no one has had any problems with then, including myself, recently.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:13 PM

lol recently wink1.gif . I actually got them on Shark Racing (sssshhhh dont tell Redz). They are the only place that carry ones that fit right now. The OBX ones will NOT fit on RD2s no matter what people on ebay tell you! I dont think they are equal (the power pulleys and the crank). The crank pulley turns a lot of things unlike the other two which are only single belt items. I would imagine that a crank pulley you would feel a heck of a lot more than the power pulleys. But you also have to remember that you WILL (atleast I recommend) an impact wrench to get the crank pulley off. While the others you can do with just a regular wrench and some elbow grease laugh.gif: .
Old 02-12-2005, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Also note the fact that most of the power from these pulleys is going to come in first and second... so you really won't see a "dyno" improvement as dynos are done in Tibs in 4th gear. You will break the tires lose a lot easier though. smile.gif
Old 02-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Or wheel hop as the case may be laugh.gif: . Anyway for price and ease of install I would have to recommend the power pulleys. They only took 20 minutes to install. So for the money and time they are not a bad option. About the crank pulley. If you are about to need your timing belt changed get the pulley and have them install it. You have to remove the crank pulley to change the timing belt anyway so it wont add any cost to the bill!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:39 PM

so.... you are saying that the crank pulley will be better that the other ones..... right?... but also that sharkracing is the only one that has the power that will fit a RD2... but which one? the powers or the crank pulley??

I´m think about bying from Kspec and I want it for a RD2.... so do you think it will fit??

and redz told me that Sharkracing has problem with shipping and that place tells a lot of lies..... so what can I do..??

any advice??

And what problems would gives this pulleys ( talking about power and crank pulleys)
Old 02-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Yes the crank pulley will give you more "power".

Yes the crank pulley kSpec sells does fit.

Yes shark racing is the only place to buy a power pulley kit for the RD2's.

Yes shark racing has had problems with shipping. But as long as you pay by paypal if it doesnt come in a month you can file a paypal claim and get your money back.

Personally unless you have a decent amount of tools (unless you are getting these installed) I would go with the power pulleys. They are easier and you can do them yourself. The crank pulley is more involved and like I said the easiest and cheapest thing would be to get it done when you get your timing belt changed (every 60k miles).