Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Pan.. I Hate It..

Old 01-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you really dont need tons of gravitational flow, or so i have been told, and there are others out there with the same turbo manifold, without the problems.. if i would have tapped the oil pan lower, it would be too low and then cause problems for sure.. i need to ask jon GTR how is setup is..

heres the thing also about the flow.. there are a couple members on here with looped return lines, so that would work for graviatational flow AT All. also, i think the vacuum inside the motor helps with the flow out of the line..
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

hmmm...

dude...i might have it.

you said you have an atmospheric pcv dump right? wouldnt that get rid of any vacuum in the motor?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

well your kinda on the right track.. and its kinda what the problem is..

i changed ONE thing when i did my transmission, and i talked to tim, and he told me that was the problem.. i used to have my pcv >>> catch can >>> atmosphere then i had a breather filter on my valve cover breather, but the breather was spitting oil all over the engine bay area cuz the pressure so i routed it this way.. not thinking

pcv and breather port >>>> T >>> catch can >>> atmosphere... so in turn i pressurized my valve cover.. which made oil find its easiest way out, which ended up being my turbo..

w00t.. thats soo awesome..

thanks for the help guys.. now i wont have anymore leaks.. oil pan goes in tomm. to get completely fixed. imma steam clean my motor and get all the oil off of it, and not have to worry about the oil shit again.

also, i am probably just going to tap the pcv back into the intake somehow cuz theres no need to vent to the air.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ I'm running atmospheric dump at the moment on both those. They stay closed unless they need to vent, then it lets out oil. I've heard the vacuum on the IM helps draw the oil out, but I've been running it that way ever since the Air-Ram (6-8 months ago) and have had no problems. 500 miles on the turbo no problems either.

As for vacuum, my father told me that the vacuum in the oil pan helps draw the oil out of the line. If you remember, my line had a lil flat spot in it, and he told me that it would be fine because of that.

But I have to agree that return line looks not so good to me. Personally I'd run a sump of some kind since the turbo sits so low.

EDIT: Guess not. laugh.gif
Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM

awesome...fix it soon and let us know the results.

hopefully the seals on that turbo are still good.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM

I have the exact same set up like SOCKS

pcv and breather port >>>> T >>> catch can >>> atmosphere

Except, I replaced the PCV valve with a brass fitting, so that it won't build up the pressure and vent oil freely.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

i should also replace my pcv with a fitting, so i dont have to worry about my pcv.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM

cant you just drill out the pcv valve?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:02 PM

yes you can drill it.

Buy you can get the fitting for 2 bucks and save the PCV for the future just in case you know~!

I'm not sure, but PCV might cost more than two bucks if you ever need to buy a new one.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 PM

i dont remember how much mine was, but it wasnt expensive. getting a fitting just requires more waiting if you dont have somewhere around you you can buy one from.