Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Pan

Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

hey i'm looking for some knowledge about changing the oil pan gaskget, do i just take off exhaust and remove oil pan? or is it moreinvolved then that, if anyone knows or has allready tackled this job your input would be most helpful.

i tried to check webtech but i couldnt get it to show me anything, i did a quick search but mostly the results had to do with doing an oilpan swap.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

The results you found explaining how to change the oil pan are what you want. It's the same procedure. There is no oil pan gasket, as such. The gasket you make with a tube of gasket maker.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM

lol i didnt even think about it but i guess it would be the exact same procedure.
guess i feel a lil dumb now, but its nice to know i could get the help when it was needed.

~edit~
did some more searching to come up withthis post http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=1557&hl=

so its just remove tranny brace and exhaust pipe,and seince we have no actual gasket it gets sealed with gasket maker?

if anyone else has input i would appricate.

also do you think this is something a novice could do? could i just get some help from a more experience person?
if not then i guess i would save to take to shop, i'm not really sure i know you guys have more input on it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

fair warning its a bit of a pain in the @ss

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP TRACK OF ALL THE BOLTS

also the few bolts by the transmission are a pain and DONT overtorque them they will snap and youll have oil everywhere

for gasket maker use the high temp water resistent type (permetex red)
Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM

i know it's a pain to put it back on. just ask SOCKS, he knows laugh.gif
Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

take it to a shop.. itll cost like 50 bucks... trust me, its even worth 100 if it costs that... 19 f***ing little oil pan bolts, crappy access to the ones on the tranny side, and its an alluminum cap, so itll strip without you even knowing it, and USE a tourque wrench, the heads of the bolts snap off easy if overtourqued..

even if you lose a bolt, they are very cheap at any hardware store.

id take it in, cuz even if you THINK you did it right, didnt break ANY bolts, or strip ANY threads, if you didnt add enough gasket sealer, itll leak on ya.. yah, its fun stuff..

add a 6 qt. oil pan like mine to the mix, and have fun with even easier accesability to the bolts, and on top of that add a return line tap for a turbo, and you just have a WHOLE lotta fun ahead of ya..

i took off the roll stop X-member, the trans shield, and exhaust for easiest accessability, and i still hated it.. ill take off myu intake and exhaust manifolds, change plugs/wires, do a brake job, before i ever do the oil pan again...

hate that thing..
Old 09-21-2006, 01:25 PM

You know.. if you have the money, the Beta 2 has an aluminum oil pan.. you can probably pick one up at a yard for cheap or from the dealer for more money. While it will not hold any more money, it will aid in keeping the oil cooler.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

/\ i think you meant it wont hold any more oil lol /\

LoL i dunno, after taking off the tranny about 10 times the oil pan didnt seem like so much of a PITA. I wish i would have known about the beta 2 oil pan cuz i woulda swapped it when i tapped my pan.

I used RTV black and i havent had a leak problem.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM

wow lots of good help. it seems like if SOCKS is right and its only like 100 bucks i will have shop do it. but if they want anymore then like 120-130 i'll have to do it on my own with a lil help from some friends.