Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Burning

Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car seems to be burning oil. i havent noticed any puddles after it been parked, so i dont think its leaking. but i have to put a quart every 500kms. what could the problem be? do i need a new engine? or is it cheaper to have the engine rebuilt? what about pcv valve? does anybody know?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A quart every 500kms? Ouch.

Ya, its about dead.

Do a compression test or leakdown test, chances are your numbers are way out of spec and its time for a new motor.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 PM

check your valve cover gasket... just in case, because hyundais love valve cover gasket leaks. but it sounds like alot of oil lose.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:24 AM

i have a 1997 tib. now, would i be able to put, for example, like a 2003 motor. would it be the same size? or should i find a 1997 motor? how much would a used motor be? also, i have a 1.8. could I put a 2L without too much hassle, or would i have to change all the sensor and everything?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Whoa whoa whoa,

Your getting a little over your head, don't you think?

Run a leak down test, read the results than decide.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:57 AM

Well the 2003 model is a V6 so it is bigger and it doesnt have that much more power..this question was discussed a lot and it is just worthless swap laugh.gif

You can put a 2.0L Beta engine from an RD1 or RD2 with no problems wink1.gif

As for the oil getting burned, my car does that aswel..Some mechanics suggested getting my engine head serviced and replacing the valves in the engine. They said its about 90% chance that it would stop the burning of oil..I dont think it actually gets burned, i think it just goes out into the air through your exhaust wink1.gif

But on the other hand my car loses less oil that urs, so dunno.. wink1.gif

After getting your engine rebuild your engine is basicly brand new as most if not all internal parts would be replaced, if you can get a new engine for cheap price you may aswel do that, cos the rebuild will cost more as there is more labour involved wink1.gif
Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

The oil certainly can be burned in the engine. If your car is burning oil you will see blue smoke coming from the tailpipe. You are experiencing severe oil loss/consumption so it would be best to have it repaired. Oil could be getting past worn piston rings or valve seals and be burned in the combustion chambers.

Is this condition something that just started happening or has it been getting progressively worse? Perform the tests others mentioned above to point you in the right direction.

I have seen used engines selling for about $400 and up in Ontario and some of them are low mileage so that might be an option for you as well. You could use the engine from any 97-01 Tiburon or 96-00 Elantra.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Even with good compression engine can burn oil. Like mine did.

Oil rings were bad, but compression rings held compression.

Check if you have a lot of oil in the pipe that goes from filter to throttle body. Usually oil rings are bad - you will find there lot's of oil.