Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gear Slip

Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I have an Automatic transmission. It's been a great transmission lasting for 122k so far and still runs great. I have an evap cannister that I relocated and still get a code for but I don't know how to tell if it's the cause of my second-third gear slip which happened tonight while full throttle.

So I'm at full throttle going on second gear when I hear my beautiful sounding CAI on rev limit for a few seconds before the gear switches to third. It seemed like the gear slipped and went into neutral in between gear 2 and 3. It's never happened before.

-How can I check the status of my transmission and if the gears are ok? What should I look for and where? I want to start watching and caring for it.

Thank you proudly.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You ever changed the fluid? 122k is a little late to start caring for it. lmao.gif
Old 11-10-2006, 10:22 PM

^HAHA!! wall.gif i just had the fluid changed a month ago. any idea on where to look for metal chips or any signs of grinding/wear?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

um....

inside the transmission.

you can replace the fluid and see if there are flakes in the old stuff. a slip is probably the result of the torque converter.

great time to go manual. wink1.gif
Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

hmm, i was over by kragen the other day to do some *ahem* paint stuff..... and i saw this old dude that bought a fluid thing for trannys that slip. It was some lucas oil thing and u run it in the tranny. Not really sure how it works or if it does but the guy the dude worked there said the fluid does some shiz to it and it works. you can try it out and tell us how it goes. Not sure how much they go for though.

edit: heres the bottle
they go for 10.99 here
Old 11-11-2006, 05:03 PM

..agree torque converter. Seals and valves and bleeds. Strange for it to happen so soon after a fluid change. Is it just between those gears? I'm not too hot on auto trannies but give me clues and I'll see what I can find. It is worth doing a search in Google for " auto slips when changing gear ". . .cuz autos have been around a long while and everything that can happen probably has...it just takes one to have the same trouble as you....and hopefully an answer.
Good mileage figure buddy...if everything else is sweet then it's great to hear you wanna keep it alive.

Just searched for you and got this...

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/t.../ques123_0.html

The last paragraph could be of help.....

...it could also be that the fluid change also intruduced a little cr@p into the tranny which may clear or may not....I hope this heals up on it's own HKC.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:46 PM

many thanks!!! geesmith, that link helped me understand things i didn't know about transmission fluid! it could be my seals giving up on me too. is it worth for my mechanic to open up the transmission and have it inspected? with 122k, i'm starting to get a little worried. you know, it does drive very well but i don't want to be blind when something gives in.

rd1, thanks i'll definitely look it up and research if it's worth it in the long run. i've changed my spark plugs myself and learned from here as well as a good google. i know i did those right and it's just better to do your own maintenance.

i have a buddy who's going to check if there's a leak in my evap system. he's also got a dyno and we'll see if the slipping is the problem.

Using Type F fluid in an application that calls for Dexron II may make the transmission shift too harshly. Using Dexron II in a transmission that requires Type F may allow the transmission to slip under heavy load, which can accelerate clutch wear

so maybe the guy didn't use the right fluid? i hope not. i need to check my dipstick and check the color of the fluid. i remember the old one being cranberry red and then after a few strolls around the block it was brown and is why i decided it was time to change it.

could it be signs the PVC valve isn't working well? my friend told me to replace that with my high mileage.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, if he used the wrong fluid it would cause problems. Go back and ask him what he used.

PVC/Evap wouldn't cause transmission slippage. I would check what fluid he used definately though.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:47 PM

^^ agree with that, fingers crossed it's just not your trannies favorite tipple that's in there. If you get to the stage that you feel you need it opening up then that's when I'd clutch at the Transmission Fix by Lucas straw that RD1 posted up. . . assuming you do have the correct fluid.
I learned from that article too....I wasn't aware that you still had a third of the old stuff still in there after a change. A hefty transmission cooler sounds a good mod. My wifes V6 is auto but only has 16,000 on the clock....the article still makes you think, even at 16,000 miles.

The Lucas stuff probably conditions the rubber seals etc to counteract the way they tend to go hard with heat and age. I hope you get it fixed.... whatever, it will probably still be less expensive than changing cars and starting over. As you may have seen I just had a big scare with my car that was fixed by a $10 part from a breakers yard. The car is perfectly good to go now. I wish the same on everyone with a problem. smile.gif

One problem I encountered was finding Hyundais in the breakers...the guys were saying they don't see many, they seem to last. The ones you do find are the type I like to find...i.e. front or rear accident damage that usually indicates the car was a driver when it died.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

ive heard that you should only use OEM Hyundai ATF in the tib's auto tranny, otherwise it can cause problems. make sure that's what he used..