Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

obx headers

Old 03-13-2003, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obx headers

i've seen a few sets of obx 4-1 headers on ebay for $175. the auction says these headers dyno'd + 17hp and 33ft-lbs of torque. is that an accurate claim? it seems way too high. had anyone on the boards dyno'd some headers? i'm curious what the realistic gains are. also, if i do get these, i'd be losing my close-coupled cat, so there a little more power i can get out of it. if i'm running without a cat, will my downstream o2 sensor trigger a cel?

[ March 13, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 03-13-2003, 03:31 AM

bro as far as i know no n/a 4 banger will ever gain that much from headers torque wise even hp more like 12hp. but the ppl on here that have them say that they are happy with them. as far as tripping a cel i dont think it would
Old 03-13-2003, 04:50 AM

yeah, that's what i'm saying. 33 pounds of torque from headers on a beta just doesn't sound right.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:38 PM

hey man.. i am putting my OBX header in tomorrow actually (maybe saturday if i get side tracked on my body kit) .. i will let you know about the cel light, though i think it will, but we will see.. as far as the gains, i think 12 is about right also, but i wont be able to really tell cuz i havent dynoed my car before... check back and see what i say..
Old 03-14-2003, 09:43 AM

i put the header in today... no cel light came on with only one O2 sensor plugged in. And I am happy with the boost i got without the rest of my exhaust done yet. There are alot of tricks to putting them in though.. after my fingers stop burning (from touching the header after car was turned on... D'Oh) i will write a DIY with all of the problems i ran into.

Later

edit.... CEL did turn on after my second run in the car.. u have to put both O2 sensors in

[ March 14, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: BigBoi ]
Old 03-14-2003, 01:37 PM

bigboi, do you have one or two cats? i have one of the tibs with only one cat, that's why i'm worried about the cel. i don't know about the placement of the second cat and the downstream o2 sensor. i guess if you have on of the tibs with two cats and the downstream o2 sensor is behind the second cat, you won't get a cel, but i'm just curious about it in a tib with only one cat. see what i'm saying? i hope you took pictures for you diy. i will put it up on my site (hyundaiturbulence.net) and, obviously, give you credit for writing the diy. email me if you want to do this.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:27 AM

Turbulence.. ya know what.. halfway through i thought about grabbing my digital camera.. but didn't. As far as the cats, i have two.. and only one O2 sensor is in right now, i am getting my catback made this week so i will fix that problem and put both O2 sensors in.

I may get a chance to do that DIY with pics if i cant get my passenger side radiator fan back in without taking the damn header back off. I will keep you updated.

Later-
Old 03-15-2003, 05:17 AM

Yeah id like to see a DIY on header installation, hope everything works for you smile.gif
Old 03-16-2003, 01:39 PM

I got the DIY written up.. just need to take the pictures tomorrow or Tuesday. Turbulence, I think i will just post them here on HA and over on HP.. then you can copy it to your site. I just have to figure out how to get this radiator fan back in still frown