Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

No More Transmission Woes, For Now...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Usually most people will post about their trials and tribulations. This post is different.

I've had my Tib for about a week(yesterday) and I've loved everything about it and I can't shut up about it(my girlfriend has been very patient with me). About a day or two into my ownership, my second gear started to grind when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I was pretty bummed, but had come to terms with not being able to downshift that gear and generally taking it easy on the tranny.

Instead of posting about my woes or looking bugging you guys for a solution, I proceeded to search about transmission issues and fixes and whatnot, and then decided to change the tranny oil hoping for a quick fix. Well 3 quarts of synchromesh later I am proud to say that I have been grind free for a few days, and that just brings my spirits right up.

Thanks to all of your previous posts and useful informtion, it had a key role in my decision making process and I was confident that I would come to some sort of positive solution. I love this car more everyday and out of all the online communities I've been a part of, this one takes the cake. Never have my posts been answered so quickly and so accurately.

-Thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Good to hear. It's good practice to rev-match when downshifting to try to save the synchro as much as possible
Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Absolutely!

I always rev match, but when the synchro was noisy even rev matching wouldn't help. The only way I could downshift it without grinding was with double clutching, but that is so much work for so little gain. I would generally not downshift into 2nd. Regardless, now it's as smooth as glass!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thank your for searching clapping.gif
Finally a noob that gets it... nana.gif

So what did the old fluid look like?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM

blech...it was gross. There were minimal flakes in the oil, so I felt pretty good about that, but it looked nasty and smelled nasty. It was this gross green brown mixture.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I just wanted to interject something here.. I'm not sure what gear oil I had the last time, but it said synchro-somethingorother. It was made by Royal Purple. The stuff was horrible for my car. It was red-brown in color and did not smell like gear oil. It did not have a weight to it. Our cars need GEAR OIL, not synchro oil. 75W90, 80W90. If it does not have a weight, then it's auto tranny fluid.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 AM

This stuff is like green in color. It's made by GM. I've done some reading on here and a lot of peeps are running it in their trannies. I have great results so far though! Thanks for your input!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:16 AM

The DSM guys run synchromesh a lot. Its a good OEM gear oil.

Really glad to see this post instead of one b****ing about how much this site sucks.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ Well I'll second that and congratulate the OP for not being a FNG.

One thing though: in order to prevent posting about how your transmission is now dying, check the label on the bottle. If you did not use GL4 rated oil, get some GL4 in there ASAP. Redline or Royal Purple seem to be the most highly thought-of, if you don't want to spend $$ for the dealership's oil.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM

I was under the impression that Synchromesh is GL-4?

Has anyone's tranny died using it?