Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Nasty Headers - Wrap or Paint?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000
Default Nasty Headers - Wrap or Paint?

Well I'm in to process of trying to get the engine bay looking cleaner. So next on my list is my headers.

Wrap it? scratchhead.gif I have heard a lot of good things about wrapping and some bad, also the current thread on the wrap is making it more tempting.

Paint it? scratchhead.gif Some people say their end product is great and others don't, also not so excited about try to wedge the headers in my oven to bake them. Not to mention the smell of the paint some people talk about. And if this is what you think is best what type of paints?

Well this is what they are looking like. . .

Let me hear your 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would wrap them for the racing look, or just buy another set of stainless ones and replace them.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Wrapping them is the cheapest way to go, and like Floyd said....it will give you the race look. However, if you're going for show & blong factor, I would send them out to be jet coated. You can usually get it done in any color, and they will last and look great for a long time.

I wouldnt paint them with regular high heat paint. Headers get extremely hot, and there really isnt any paint on the market that wont discolor or fade over time from the intense heat they produce. If you can part with them for a couple of weeks...send them out to a shop that does the coating. The coating will act as the wrap does, and it will keep the heat down inside the engine bay as well....which means even more performance. smile.gif
Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Correctly painting requires removal from the car and alot of prep. Wrapping can be done on the car.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Elantra(Dead project) 1986 Golf(Track whore) 2000 Ranger(Daily)

Wrap FTW.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

The Jet coating sounds nice...wouldnt mind that done...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 02 accent

QUOTE(jmt420 @ Sep 24 2008, 07:40 PM)
Some people say their end product is great and others don't, also not so excited about try to wedge the headers in my oven to bake them. Not to mention the smell of the paint some people talk about. And if this is what you think is best what type of paints?

The trick with bake-on paint is to let it cure in a room above 70 degrees for about a week, and THEN bake it. It makes alot less smell in your kitchen. That's what they do when painting gun parts that get pretty hot.

But like Visionz said, there really aren't any good paints for the 1300+ degree temps that exhausts get.