Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

N/a Ecu Reflash With Hi Cam - Major Update Post #35

Old 03-05-2006, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tibster

****MAJOR UPDATE - see post #35*****

I've been spending so much time in the turbo forums, I almost forgot most of us are NA. Well, I wanted to share the benefits of ECU tuning with you guys as well. Most of us all started NA and plan on staying NA. I know that many people on this forum have spent over a grand on NA parts (headers, intakes, exhaust, porting, Airram, etc), but only a small number have spent anything on ECU tuning, which is perhaps the most important step. Unfortunately ECU tuning is fairly expensive in the states. You have to buy something like an S-AFC and then rent dyno time to tune it correctly. Comes out to a few hundred bucks, but even then, the gains are only marginal since engine tuning requires years of experience to maximize efficiency. Since I'm in Korea, I can give you access to the years of NA tuning on the RD's beta engine.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:18 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Hey hows this. If business is doing well, I'll grab one just to be the stupid test dummy, and see what I can throw at it. If I'm impressed, and the other socal guys are as well, I'll get a few together and send them out so I can (kind of) stock them on FlyRyde.com

Otherwise you guys can go for it and see for yourselves before its shot down like everything is.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:27 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I am very interested depending on cost & expected results. I can't be arsed with a turbo on this car sad.gif

What sort of money are we talking? What sort of gains could one expect with basic bolt-ons, with a base-line of around 130whp?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yeah I'm interested, are they going to be like generic maps based on what mods we have? How exactly is this going to go down? Pricing? Down time?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:14 AM

I don't have an exact number on gains because it varies case by case. I can tell you that you will see power gains across the entire RPM band. A lot of people are only concerned with peak horsepower gain, but power across the entire RPM band is much more effective than a spike in HP that yields a high "max" hp". For example, a 130whp car will beat a 140whp car (with the same weight) on the track if the power(hp) curve is better shaped. Imagine 2 dyno graphs, one with a higher/steeper peak and one with a lower/more gradual peak. If the area under the dyno graphs is larger with the second dyno graph, the "lower" horsepower car will actually be faster on the road.

Kind of difficult to explain in words. I hope everyone understood that.

Anyways, we have the tuning experience to create smooth and optimal power curves since Korea's had years of tuning the beta engine.

The idea will be for us to already have an ECU on hand. Once we receive the order (ECU reflash cost + ECU deposit), we can program our ECU and send it to you. Once you get it and swap it into your car, you can send us yours for a deposit refund.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:26 AM

Well, I'll be getting the car dyno'd before the end of the month & was seriously considering the "Powerchip Gold 98" (yes I know, I know...) straight after that so that I could re-dyno the car & see what (if any) gains could be seen.

They promise a measurable gain across the rev-range (max gain of around 17 hp) & it's only about 500AUD.

They have a 14 day money back guarantee too so I was thinking "fvck it... no harm, no foul".

Would your reflash be in that sort of vicinity gain & money-wise?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 AM

Why don't you include a set of mild cams with it (like I believe Rick was going to do for us before his business tactics got shady), he was giving us estimates of around 15WHP for cams+ecu.
Some 262 or 272s maybe?

So for example, lets say I got my ECU reflashed, and then I ported my head later on..would I need to get another flash or will the ECU adjust to upgrades like that?

Oh yeah, and I understood about the area under the graph...c'mon guys it's the fundamental thereom of calculus ! tongue.gif

Damn, its so late the only people on RD is the aussie and the korean laugh.gif joke.gif
Old 03-05-2006, 04:38 AM

Yeah, it's only just after 10.30pm here... Also, I spend waaaay too much time on this bloody website.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:51 AM

OzFxCoupe-
I can guarantee that you'd want your money back if your expecting 17hp. There is no way that "chip" by itself will be able to get you that much power. If you're LUCKY you'll get about 5whp, but I doubt you'll even get that much. 15whp is realistic with a set of cams. The ECU should respond well to minor modifications.

zoned019-
The idea with the cams may show some promise, but cams are so expensive in Korea. BTW I'm American. Just living in Korea for a few years. wink1.gif
Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 AM

I'd be down with a set of cams, otherwise it seems like sort of a lot of work (even if the cost isn't that high) for a small gain. Mildly agressive cams and an ECU programmed to what mods your car currently has...that would be sweet.

I'm definitely down if you can get some cams. I'm sure this thread is going to get flooded in the morning (although I haven't slept yet, so I'll probably check it late afternoon tongue.gif)

gnight guys