Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My Head Has Holes In It. They Need A Port And Polish!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

UPDATE!

No pics, sorry.

My baby took something home from the church nursery, then gave it to my wife & me, then to my other 2 kids.

It was NOT a toy. Or fun.

1 week later, not too much has been done on the cylinder head. I do need to get some photos up showing the more-finished chambers but I haven't picked up my grinder in a over a week.

Oh, I also talked by email to somebody who does high-quality cylinder heads & pistons for a living and does quite well by it. He poo-poos the Singh grooves, but didn't have anything negative to say about the other work I've done so far. He did rag on Hyundai for the very poor quality of their head castings, when it comes to shift and flash, as well as overall design. Said it was worse than anything domestically produced in the last 50 years or some such, and that you have to sift through a few to find a good candidate for a performance head rework.

Also he said it would be good to get oversize valves, so you could center the valves over the ports a bit better. Too bad the only place you can get the valves oversize charges $$$ for them 02.gif

That's all for now kiddies, stay tuned! I haven't given up, just stalled for a minute.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I got carbon out of my ports was with some heat and then sprayed some cold carb/brake cleaner. It cracked the carbon into flakes. If you raise your compression too much there is always e85. Higher compression mean more bounce per ounce, lower egts, and better gas milage.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Re: raising the compression too much:

Easy to fix. Back to stock pistons/gasket!

Here's my thinking: -1/2point or more with all the material that came out of the chamber (need to measure this still) +1point from the 1.8L pistons & 2002 (thinner) head gasket. Depending on how froggy I feel, there may be another point or more to be had by resurfacing the cylinder head's underside. Somewhere between 10-12:1 is where I hope to end up. Lots of measurements to do, first.

The Singh grooves have the effect of reducing detonation, even with increased compression. I'm going to see how far I can increase the compression -within reason- and then you guys will know how well that worked out for me. If the computer hears detonation and it gets better with adding octane you guys will hear about it and also hear about how far I had to go to eliminate the knocking.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (Stocker @ Oct 6 2008, 11:31 AM)
UPDATE!

No pics, sorry.

My baby took something home from the church nursery, then gave it to my wife & me, then to my other 2 kids.

It was NOT a toy. Or fun.

Ooooo... Was there projectile vomiting? That s**t is so fun. lmao.gif
Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Warning: offtopic.gif Not for the faint of stomach. Parents feel free to read on, you've been there.

No projectile, at least, not that went outside a trash can or toilet, that I could see.

My daughter is a cry baby (like me) she was screaming & hollering about her stomach hurt (I moan loudly when I'm miserable, wife goes to the couch for the night)

My older son is a frikken TROOPER. My wife only knew he was sick the 1st day by asking them who had thrown up on the couch. He just sat there & watched TV & slept all day & I know his guts were hurting.

The baby... well, they puke sometimes anyhow and when you're changing to solid foods you never know what the diapers will be like...

My wife basically carried on w/ her routine, including homeschool & cleaning the house. Just amazing.

Me, I slept alot. No puking thank God but well, the guts have to clean out from one end or the other, so...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Update, this time with PICS!

I have four

Of these:

The exhaust deshrouding is about 1/2 done. The hard part (around the seat) is done, I need to pull the deshrouding out farther. I'm debating whether I'll go with just past where the valve stops opening or going all the way to the deck and losing more compression and quench.

The spark plug holes started out looking like this. A little fouling and buildup but not so bad perhaps

Until you pull out the carbon. Then it's got all sorts of ridges and angles

This is the rough shape I went with on all 4 plug holes.

On that last one, you can still make out the line where the machining changed between plug & chamber. I didn't take much depth of material out, just smoothed most of the angles out. The big bumps on the intra-valve ridges I knocked down and smoothed, and the protrusion between the exhaust valves I removed also.

I need to finish the shape of the exhaust side wall of the chamber and sand the thing a little smoother, then the chambers will be "done". I'll work the throats and short-side radii before I do the sanding.

That's all for now!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

You've got alot of smoothing to do. Needs to be a polished finish. If it's rough like that, you won't get a good swirl and you'll have lots of potential for hot spots which lead to detonation.

Like this:

Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

I did mention that it was rough...

Is that MJ's or yours? Either way, I'd like to get a few more shots if you have them 'cuz I like to compare what I've done to what others have done.

... and MJ's have a tendency to disappear 02.gif

Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

QUOTE (Stocker @ Oct 10 2008, 12:04 PM)
I did mention that it was rough...

Is that MJ's or yours? Either way, I'd like to get a few more shots if you have them 'cuz I like to compare what I've done to what others have done.

... and MJ's have a tendency to disappear 02.gif

That's actually a Miata head. I don't have any pics of my head.

Here's a P&P Beta 2 non-CVVT head:

Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen that one already but that's a higher-res. copy than I have. It looks pretty close to where I am heading. Thanks.