Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My exhaust plans are finalized. i need opinions!!!

Old 08-13-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust plans are finalized. i need opinions!!!

ok. here is my final fork in the road. pay 400+ for pre made catback from the couple of places that make them for our cars (tiburons), but it'd be mandrel bent, and 2.25" yet would need modification to fit (i'd most likely get the MBRP or KORE if i can) OR buy a glasspack, Apexi N1 muffler, and have an exhaust shop put on 2.5 crush bent piping from my SR 4-1 headers back. all installed for about 100 minus plus the cost of the muffler and resonator. the restriction in the crush bends should make up for the slight oversize for a 4 cyl (according to random and logically if you think bout it) i'm going for power here. what do you guys think? i'm staying with NA mods by the way.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:39 AM

i would go 2.5 piping-mandrel bent-highflow cat (no cat-back setup) just muffler at rear-id go with apexi dunk

my thoughs though 2.25 has to much restriction
Old 08-13-2002, 12:48 PM

that's the problem, if i want mandrel bent, i don't think i'll get bigger than 2.25. most premade catbacks are 2.25 ,with the exhaust shop doing it, i'll have 2.5" aluminized steel sad.gif , and i'll have an apexi N1 for $225, i'll buy a glasspack from summitracing (i live right by their warehouse ) and having everything installed will run me 100 bucks, which i think ain't bad. no cat either (shhh) wink or i can pay 400 for the KORE (if i can get one) , or 467 for the MBRP, and have mandrel bends, but probably have to shell out for a little bit of modifaction to fit the SR headers. moneywise, it looks like it will all come out the same, but i'm wondering what's gonna yeild me more ponies
Old 08-13-2002, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 2K Accent

For est 500.00 dollars I would look into a local shop to custom make a mandrel system. I would start by asking the guys at Summit if they know of any race shops or exhaust shops that do mandrel systems. If they dont know anybody go to your local track and ask the drivers if they know anybody. Also check out exhaust shops that work on big rigs. Eighteen wheelers use mandrel exhaust systems. Stay with 2.25 exhaust anything bigger and you will lose power.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 PM

mohead:
Stay with 2.25 exhaust anything bigger and you will lose power.
This is not necessarily true.. it is a very debatable topic, and has been debated in the past. For example, I've heard that Red, one of the most knowledgable people that frequents the boards, say that 2.5'' is just fine.. wink Plus if you go 2.5'' now, that leaves options available down the road for small boost smile.gif
Old 08-13-2002, 09:48 PM

i paid 320 for manderal bent 2.5 inch pipe and he also gave me the high flow muffler which is included in the price
Old 08-13-2002, 09:58 PM

Raithan:
mohead:
Stay with 2.25 exhaust anything bigger and you will lose power.
This is not necessarily true.. it is a very debatable topic, and has been debated in the past. For example, I've heard that Red, one of the most knowledgable people that frequents the boards, say that 2.5'' is just fine.. wink Plus if you go 2.5'' now, that leaves options available down the road for small boost smile.gif
Do you even remeber what red's doing to his car? Its far from being considered "little boost". He's going to have to attach bolts to his neck after he's finished wink bwahahaha wink

and on a side note, 2.25" is optimal for N/A to mild nitrous applications. For boost or greater nitrous applications, 2.5" is what you'll need. But for N/A 2.5" mandrel is a bit overkill, you'd loose too mutch lowend for minimal gains in high end.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:47 PM

Go with the KORE. Except, get a membership ans save an extra $15.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:48 AM

Decker:
Do you even remeber what red's doing to his car? Its far from being considered "little boost". He's going to have to attach bolts to his neck after he's finished wink bwahahaha wink
[/b]

Well, I didn't say he was doing it, silly. I said that he said 2.5'' is good for N/A. Also, Red's old Tiburon ran HVE 4-1 HEaders, and 2.5'' exhaust. wink
The difference between 2.25'' and 2.5'' is a tradeoff.. do you want to stay the same in the low end, gain a bit in the mid and high? Or do you want to lose a tad in the low, and gain more in the high? It's the same kind of tradeoff when deciding between 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers.

[ August 14, 2002, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Raithan ]
Old 08-14-2002, 08:57 AM

1.eewww...crush-bent piping
2. 18 wheelers use mandrel bent but its 5+inch piping
3.eewww...crush-bent piping
4. i have 2.5 inch mandrel and have no problem at all. i personally wouldnt go higher than 2.5 unless i have n20 or turbo.

stay away from crush...
let us know what you decide
nathan king