Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My Ecu

Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

the question is, can a rev a car handle a non-rev a ecu?
that is, are they forwards and backwards compatible?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:37 PM

yes
Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yes, absolutely. Getting rid of Rev A stuff is good!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i wouldn't change anything. the computer on a Rev A is likely the same as on a Non RevA. don't waste your money.

zoned, you removed the evap cannister? do you have a CEL from it? even if you don't you will be running lean without knowing. look at my relocation DIY.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 PM

HKC, I think you were like the only one ever to have problems removing the evap canister. It was one of the first mods I did, and I never had an issue. Lots of others have as well.
So, you guys think that the non rev a 1.8 ecu will be better than my current rev a 1.8 ecu? is there a confirmation that the ecus are actually different, so that i don't waste my time? it seems weird that hyundai would make 3 ecus....1.8, 2.0, and rev a 1.8...
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i remember you following up through that. me, rd1tib, redzman (?), all had problems with connecting together using femape pipe. the rest of the people silentsecret and splintercel relocated. you and blacktibs are the only ones who managed to trot over the crocodile filled pond but from my personal experience might be running lean as a result and computer not sensing it. wierd... long as you have no cel.

i'm going to look into it, but i really don't think there's such thing as a REV A computer. it's either a 1.8ecu or a 2.0ecu. rev a just meant it had a different exhaust and emission setup but the computer still read the same things. reason i think that is because the 2000-2001 tiburons, like all cars have an evaporation cannister but a different catalytic converter setup. that's all, they're just in different spots but nothing in the function changed.

that's why i was suggesting not to even spend any time considering swapping the ecu, it would just be a waste of time. and you're not looking at some 10hp gain haha. so long as your engine works, no cels, everything works without problems you're ok.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 AM

^^

but if that was the case, why have so many people pointed out the revA ones dont work, and the one i have installed made my car very noticeably slower. i can plug my busted 2.0 ecu in, and have a noticeable power increase. but id rather have the reva in, and no CEL and no limp mode then the power of the 2.0 ecu and the crappy gas mileage that comes with it.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 AM

hmm..
so how can we find out?
i'd be interested in swapping it if i knew it would give me some power and gas mileage.