Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Msd dis 4

Old 11-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by i8acobra
You sound like a typical customer... "I bought this part that's not really what I need, but I got cheap. Can you make it work?"
I think you've got it backwards in that as a typical customer, I got tired of being jacked around by shitty backwoods mechanics like you and started doing my own work. Such is the case here. You're a "trained mechanic" that doesn't think the DIS 4 works or does the same job as a DIS 2, so you throw it back to the customer and say "it can't be done." But somehow this "typical customer" got it installed and running for several years on a custom nitrous and turbo setup. And all it took was basic comprehension to read a simple color coded wiring diagram.

Here it is installed on the firewall at Import Faceoff. Guess I must have trailered it 60 miles to the show?

Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by patuner11
I tried everything to make this msd work has to be bad. I called msd ask they claim msd dis 2 are 4 will not work for are cars I told them many people have done it they just said no way they did . I even seen old msd posted saying they do work very strange
It could be bad. This was the first link I found and the guy is having the same problem you are with missing at 3krpm.

https://www.msdignition.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13139

The unit is like 15 years old and it's a powered electrical device. They do go bad. If you used the bypass plug and the car ran fine, then you wired it up correctly.

And ignore the MSD rep. It's probably i8acobra's brother on the line. They went to the same mechanic's tech school.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
I think you've got it backwards in that as a typical customer, I got tired of being jacked around by shitty backwoods mechanics like you and started doing my own work. Such is the case here. You're a "trained mechanic" that doesn't think the DIS 4 works or does the same job as a DIS 2, so you throw it back to the customer and say "it can't be done." But somehow this "typical customer" got it installed and running for several years on a custom nitrous and turbo setup. And all it took was basic comprehension to read a simple color coded wiring diagram.

You're absolutely right. MSD makes two different DIS ignitions cause they're bored and have nothing better to do. I have never said the DIS4 "won't work". I said the DIS2 is better in this application. Hence the reason I used it:

WGFgJby.jpg

I've never told a customer "it can't be done". I can do ANYTHING for the right price. If you can afford it, I'll stick a turbine in your car. I tell customers, "there's a better option to get where you want to go" when they bring me the wrong parts.

I've never been to these "backwoods" you speak of. Are they in Texas? I built this guy's engine and trans, cause I suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_xlSHL8XA

You can believe me or not. My rep is built on my work, not on what internet warriors think of me.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
You're absolutely right. MSD makes two different DIS ignitions cause they're bored and have nothing better to do. I have never said the DIS4 "won't work". I said the DIS2 is better in this application. Hence the reason I used it:
They built the 4 identical to the 2 except for the added coil leads. They are in NO way better or inferior to one another. Even the directions are the same except for those 2 leads.

So what is this pic supposed to show me? That you can buy some basic bolt-ons from Ebay just like every other 17yo "tuner" can do? I know what you did to that car, and it was nothing spectacular or custom. Yes, I can see your mechanic skills showing. I already see some basic installation mistakes, and nowhere in that bay do I see anything "custom". Just a bunch of overpriced store bought bolt-on crap. Even your motor is stock except for a $20 cam swap that takes a kid 15 minutes to do.

I've never told a customer "it can't be done". I can do ANYTHING for the right price. If you can afford it, I'll stick a turbine in your car. I tell customers, "there's a better option to get where you want to go" when they bring me the wrong parts.

And THIS is exactly what I've been trying to relay. Just because you're a shitty mechanic and don't know how to read some simple directions, you're going to charge the customer DOUBLE/TRIPLE for YOUR shortcomings. And then tell them to go spend even more money buying a duplicate part when the first one could have worked just as well.

SHITTY MECHANIC!!!!

I've never been to these "backwoods" you speak of. Are they in Texas?
You're right, I should have labeled you a "backdoor mechanic" instead.

I built this guy's engine and trans, cause I suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_xlSHL8XA

You can believe me or not. My rep is built on my work, not on what internet warriors think of me.
You built this engine? Wow, I didn't know we had AMS' Owner posting here on our Hyundai Forums. OR do you own AAM turbos? The video description clearly says he has an AMS built engine and AAM Turbos in there.

What you REALLY did (and what you've been doing for years) is take someone else's product and "bolt it on" just like the 17yo tuners do these days. Takes a whole lot of skill to do that right? Well, apparently it takes more than you have since you're having trouble with a DIS4 on a 4cyl.

Funny, but you do for a living what a large amount of people do as a hobby in their spare time after they get done with their REAL jobs.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I farted once in Texas.

That's my contribution to this thread. Oh and I have a dis-4 as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
They built the 4 identical to the 2 except for the added coil leads. They are in NO way blah, blah, blah...

Edit: I had a long response written, but honestly, your opinion really doesn't matter. So, end of . If you really wanna know why you're an asshat, I'll PM it to you.