Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

moving to California- emissions question

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: hyundai elantra 2003
Default moving to California- emissions question

Hi,
I own a 2003 Hyundai Elantra originally purchased in Michigan, and I'm wondering what I'll have to do in order to get it to pass a California emissions test (I'm moving there this summer). I called a couple of dealerships but no one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer. Is this something I'll have to put a lot of money into?

thanks!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I think Cali emissions is basically just having the 2 catalytic converters in place.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

If the vehicle has more than 7,500 miles, you're exempt from CA. emissions if you transfer a registration from another state.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

Maybe someone from California should answer this one. Not sure i8ACOBRA, but I think you may have miss read it, : "California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California... So unless you pass smog you can't register. I do happen to know that most states are not CA SMOG legal and will have to be covertered and smoged. 2 CATs are NOT required it depends on the car. All Hyundais are single CAT except the Tiburon and any non-4banger car or car with multiple headers. I believe it has 1 CAT per exhaust header. An Elantra will fall under the same category as the Accent. single header=single Cat. that middle portion is NOT a CAT it is a resonator don't let them screw with you on that by them saying it's a cat. Also pretty much ALL mods are illegal here. tint is only legal on the rear windows, you can't have ANY tint on the front drivers side or passengers side. non visible mods are easy to get away with( BBTB, port and polished heads and IM, SAFC tuners, injectors, and suspension mods) and so long as your exhaust isn't an annoying ricer exhaust or too loud you can have a cat back exhaust system.