Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How do I apply Sea-Foam to my intake - I'm confused

Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default How do I apply Sea-Foam to my intake - I'm confused

I read the directions and still don't get it. It talks about 50% SF, 50% gas...etc. on the back of the can.

Someone explain to me how and where I'm supposed to apply this stuff, please.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea...-treatment.html

I've got a rough idle and can't tell if I'm supposed to apply this direct to the intake/vacuum line or just to the gas tank. It has like 10 different ways to apply the stuff.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

They have different directions for doing different things. What are you trying to accomplish...

Stabilizing Fuel

To add volatility and stabilize fuel for up to 2 years, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel.

Lubricating Upper Cylinders

To lubricate upper cylinders, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel.
Controlling Moisture in the Oil

To control moisture buildup in oil, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil. Sea foam will prevent phase separation of moisture that accumulates in oil. Moisture will evaporate under the heat of the crank case. Change oil and filter when dirty.
Controlling Moisture Buildup in Fuel

To control moisture buildup, add 2 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of gas oil mix.

Cleaning Varnish and Carbon Deposits - Carburated Engines

To clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together.
To remove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea Foam can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system.

Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea Foam to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea Foam will dissolve the varnish deposits that hold carbon together. After allowing the Sea Foam to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized carbon to be safely expelled from the system.

Begin by parking the vehicle in a well ventilated area. Remove the air cleaner cover unit from the carburetor.

Start the engine. For automatic transmissions, keep the car in PARK. For manual transmissions, put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake. SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the throat of the carburetor, while at the same time revving the engine to about 2000 RPMs. You will begin to see clouds of white exhaust from the tailpipes. When you have finished pouring, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. This procedure safely cleans carbon gum and varnish deposits from pistons and intake valves while providing upper cylinder lubrication. This helps cure spark knock and pre-ignition and can drastically improve the idle quality, and help prevent engine wear.

Now start the vehicle again. Drive it aggressively (but legally) for about 5 minutes or until the white smoke is no longer being produced.

Cleaning Varnish and Carbon Deposits - Fuel Injected Engines

To clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together.

To remove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea Foam can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system.

Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea Foam to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea Foam will dissolve the varnish deposits that hold carbon together. After allowing the Sea Foam to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized carbon to be safely expelled from the system.

Performing a Sea Foam Engine Treatment on a Fuel Injected Engine

Begin by parking the vehicle in a well ventilated area. Locate a vacuum line that you are certain DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. On many vehicles the easiest option is taking the vacuum line from your brake booster PCV. (See notes about special situations such as the Vortex or Subaru H style engines.) If you are not certain, contact a certified technician.

Start the engine. For automatic transmissions, keep the car in PARK. For manual transmissions, put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake. SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the vacuum hose, while at the same time revving the engine to about 2000 RPMs. You will begin to see clouds of white exhaust from the tailpipes. When you have finished pouring, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.

Now start the vehicle again. Drive it aggressively (but legally) for about 2 to 5 miles or until the white smoke is no longer being produced.

Cleaning the PCV System

To clean the PCV system, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil. It will slowly re-liquefy old oil varnish residue deposits as you drive.

Possible performance improvements include:

* Increased RPM
* Increased vacuum
* Increased compression

Cleaning Lifters and Oil Rings

To clean oil rings and lifters, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings and prevents them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as buildup oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil at regular intervals and when it gets dirty, change it.

Cleaning Fuel Injectors or Carburetor Jets

To clean fuel injectors and carburetor jets, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. It will slowly clean varnish and carbon deposits as you drive.

Performance improvements may include:

* Smoother idle
* restored power and pickup
* Elimination of hesitations

Cleaning Engine Sludge From the Crank Case

To clean built-up oil residues and contamination from the crank case, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of engine oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy residues and suspend contaminants for easy removal. Change oil and replace filter when dirty.