Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Monster tach

Old 04-28-2002, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster tach

Does anyone know how to get a extra tach to read off of a two coil distributor. What can i buy?
Old 04-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Moving to the engine forum....
Old 04-29-2002, 05:27 AM

wait until the search feature starts working again and i can dig something up from the past that will help you install it
Old 04-29-2002, 06:31 AM

you can get a tach that will read the two coil dist. at www.summitracing.com Get a tach that can read 2 cyl. VDO makes a few and they cost 50 to 90 dollers. You can then just tap into the oem tach signal that is going to your oem tach. I dont think its ricy to have a after market tach as long as your car is not an automatic(that just stupid!)
Old 04-29-2002, 06:43 PM

if you buy one from summit that reads the dual coil,... check to see what wire,....

if it reads it off a negative,... then your assed out,... our coils ground onto themselves

If you get the signal from the tach,... good luck its gonna be a bitch

be patient and ill be able to dig up away around this
Old 04-29-2002, 08:53 PM

Jaws, I do not consider having a monster tach a rice mod. My tach. has a shift light that I use and find helpful. Many others I know have 2nd tach's too mounted in a more comfortable viewing position than the stock one.

I was just wondering when and who elected you the rice judge?

Easy bro, like you said, to each his own.

Peace and respect.

Old 04-29-2002, 10:52 PM

y not just install a shift light that way u dont have to look at the stock tach. im with jaws on this one wtf is the point to having 2 of them? only way it would be rice to me is if no mods r in the car and/or its an auto
Old 04-30-2002, 04:15 AM

look,... i do respect him thats why im going to help him as soon as the search feature starts working again

as for me being rice judge? NO!
im actually a participant,... i have more blue lights then LAX airport,... although my car does pack a pretty good kick

I do think 2 tachs are ricey,... if you wanna shift light,... get a shift light not the whole tach

How many hardcore racers do you see with 2 tachs???
Some have huge tachs,... but thats because they dont have a factory one.

Hardcore racers have other gauges that are useful,... why waste space with a huge tach when you can monitor air/fuel, oil pressure, oil temp, tranny temp,.... ect

catch up is free to do what ever he wants with his car,... its his car and he wants to do something to it and im willing to help him as a fellow board member

But anyways,...
Catch up,... I know your going to need a tach designed for an 8 cyl car

thats all i remember from the top of my head
let me search first so i can know for sure

I do recommend you get an air/fuel gauge, oil pressure, oil temp... they look much nicer and they will tell you a lot of useful info about your cars current conditions

plus,... chicks dig them
Chicks know what a tach is,... but all the other (non factory) gauges are unique and have more eye appeal smile.gif
Old 04-30-2002, 09:00 AM

It's a stick, I did buy it for looks cause it's indiglo,and matches my dash apc and 2 other gauges, but it does have a shift light which i do use.

When i hook it to one of the line outs i get 2 cylinders, so i made a y which connected the 2 coils and my 2k1 tib wouldn't start so i left it on one coil.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:13 PM

you dont want to bridge those 2 wires together man,... nice try

Please be patient man,... dont worry ill walk you through,.. .i just need the search feature,...

you know what

ok
you need to set it up for an 8 cyl engine
im not sure which coil you need to use,.. but one of them will work when the tach is programed for an 8 cyl engine

good luck man

STICK TO 1 WIRE
smile.gif