Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Which Mechanic Is Right?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

yeah dude the mechanic could have damaged the seal when putting in the axle causing the leak. i don't even think i would take it back to him to redo the job. you should be somehow compensated though.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ possibly... because it wasn't leaking before it was changed. However, it could sit differently depending on the grooves the axle made over time.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 AM

I see nothing wrong with what the mechanic did, and he probably won't cover anything. The reason i say this is because it doesn't say in your original post that he replaced the seal, or had any intention to. That's like getting a windshield replaced, and expecting to get the wipers changed too. IMO he should have asked you if you wanted the seal changed while doing it however. As previous post i replaced my own it takes 10 minutes tops, I found it hard to line-up/hold and hammer at the same time.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

i can't agree with the "replacing windsheild, and expecting new wipers" comment.

You can change the wipers whenever you want. The axle HAS to be out to change this seal, id compare it to more of changing the thermostat without replacing the gasket. You are allready there....so change it!

Changing an axle isnt the easiest thing in the world, do it once, do it right.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ agreed. The seal after 50,000 or 100,000 miles will be worn, and likely molded to the shape/movement of the axle. Putting a new axle in there will not line up perfectly with the seal.

Most mechanics have to assume the owner knows nothing about the car. A mechanic should charge the extra $3 and say the seal needs to be replaced.

I tore the new seal trying to put it in, so I used the old one for a day until I could get a new seal. I took the time to pop the axle out and replace the seal just in case. It had barely started to leak by the time I got to it (only a day).

The windshield doesn't rely on the wipers. However, the transmission relies on the on the seal to keep the axle snug and prevent fluid from leaking.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Blacktibby, your statement is just wrong man, all of the manuals say to replace the seals when you do any work there, so it should have been done, it's part of doing the work. The mechanic just cheaped out to get an extra $5.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok guys, the mechanic was being a wise ass and did what some of you would think he might say "I didn't say anything about the seal". So he fixed it for free and told me next time to tell him specifically(I will never go back). Now I know why his prices were low.

Thanks for you help, guys.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

lol, "tell him specifically"...
most people don't know what an axle seal is, that's why there are mechanics..

pretty pimp that he fixed it for free tho
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Not exactly, I had to pay $17 for Hyundai GL4 manual transmission fluid. He only had GL-5 and said GL-5 is better and I know it's not so I had to pay.

I've been to many mechanics and I can't find one that's truthful and respectful. With my experience, I'm beginning to think it is how it's done in America.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's done by the owner of the car, the owner of the car pays an arm and a leg, or the work is shoddy. There are a few good shops out there, but sometimes it seems like they are outnumbered by small outfits.