Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Mass Air Flow Poroblem

Old 03-16-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2004 hyundai tiburon gt , i installed a cold air intake about 2 years ago and now i'm getting a check engine light on and my car stalls out. does this mean i have to replace my maf every 2 years. does anyone know if there is way around buying a oem one , maybe some aftermarket site sells one?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Which CAI? Make sure the CAI is installed right, and the MAF is pointing in the correct direction. if that doesnt work out since you have a GK, you might want to check out newtiburon.com and see if this has happened to anybody else. RD's dont have any problems when u put in a CAI, but i couldnt tell you about the delta, never heard anything though
Old 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Woah.. hold on there fella.

What makes you think you need a new MAF? You've had the CAI on for 2 years and this is your first CEL, so why do you think you need a new MAF?

MAF's very rarely "break" or "wear out" unless you mess with them.

Give us some more info here.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

see i missed the part where you said two years ago. What makes you think its the CAI or the MAF? if it ran fine for two years its probably not either. Unless you have a code handy that points at the maf id say look elsewhere, get that code scanned and we'll look further. hell it could be as simple as plugs/wires.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

If you run 2 years with CAI with no problem, I don't think that CAI is the cause of your CEL.

Read your CEL, this way it will be MUCH easier to know how to solve that issue.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Do this.

1st, get your CEL checked and post it here.

2nd, ensure your MAF is pointed correctly and that you have NO VACCUM LEAKS.

3rd, check your MAF to see if it's coated in oil. If you have been cleaning and oiling your filter too much, VERY rarely this happens but it does happen, you can get excess oil sucked up your intake and it can coat your MAF.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You have cleaned or changed you cai filter in the last two years...right?
I'm sure if your car has been running ok for the last two year, you didn't install your maf backwards. You would have known a lot sooner.
You really need to post you cel! You could be in the wrong ballpark.
From my own experience, my Tib started running sh!tty last year. Like it was misfiring. But in actuality it was the maf. At first I though it was covered in oil because it started right after I cleaned the filter and that's what the members rightfully told me to check. It was the maf, but not because of oil. Apparently when I installed the intake I accidently bent the grid on the maf. But I went a whole year and a half with no issues. Hmmm...why all of a sudden? Well I just installed a new header and cat-back before I cleaned the filter. I suspect that with more air moving in and out the bent grid on the maf was causing turbulence around the sensor, deflecting the air away from it. I straightened out the grid and bang...problem solved. Moral to the story: It ain't always what ya think. You need to give us more info.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Whoever told you that if you get a CAI you need to replace the MAF every 2 years is an idiot.. cool.gif