Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Manual Tranny Questions

Old 06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
MKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

History
Ok, i bought my rd2 tibby in early april of this year, and immediatly noticed grinding from the transmission when i drove it, but i had never driven a standard before, i paid 8k for the car with never been behind the wheel of a standard before.

but anyway, i figured it was normal noise for someone who never had driven a stick before, so i wasnt worried to much about it. but about 2 days after i bought it, i was showing it to my uncle who drove a 95-ish standard camaro. he got behind the wheel, went to shift into 2nd, and it grinded. 3rd, it grinded. and 4th and 5th was all good. so he told me it should not do that, since he was shifting at a little under 3500rpm. so after riding for a while at 55mph, he went to downshift. 5th to 4th was good, 4th to 3rd at about 38mph it grinded, 3rd to 2nd at 20mph it grinded. so ok, he took it back up to 55, and tried to go from 5th to 3rd at 30mph and it wouldnt let him, just grinded really bad. so without releasing the clutch, put it in 4th then immediatly into 3rd and no problem. he said that shouldnt happen, and his camaro wont let him put it in if the cars goin to quick.

side note: it does not grind no matter how you shift untill you go over ~35mph.

so i took it to the place i bought it from, and they said no problem, we have a special transmission guy who will fix whatever is wrong with it, so i got his address and took it to him. he drove it around the city of lockport, so he never went over that 35mph "mark". and then i noticed he wasnt trying to down shift, just holding the clutch down till the stop sign and put it in 1st. so i told him to downshift, and 4th to 3rd was clean at 30, but 3rd to 2nd at 20mph it grinded for him, and he asked me if thats what it did, i said yes. and he told me i was trying to shift to hot. but the manual says to downshift to 2nd at 25mph, so i asked him. he told me to double clutch and it wont do that, but he didnt want to show me because if he had to do that, he would charge me for a standard driving lesson, so i said screw it.

well, the problem hasnt gone away, just gotten worse. i cannot downshift beyond 5-4th, and where i live, downshifting is almost a must.

so now for the:

Questions

1) The transmission guy said it was how I/everyone else drove the car, is that true? would downshifting from 5th to 3rd at 30mph grind, but with the clutch down moving it from 5th, to 4th, then to 3rd work? and if it is me, can someone please tell me how to fix it based on what's above?

2) What could be the problem? i thought the syncros, because alot of other people said there's were bad in 2nd and 3rd.

3) Do i have to take it to that transmission shop to get it fixed. They have known about this problem since i bought the car, and it has not been fixed. legaly, can i take it to another shop to get it fixed.

i just dont want it to come and bite me in the ass a few months down the road because i didnt keep on them to get it fixed.

Thanks all,
MKE
Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1) Should not grind. I can downshift 5th to 3rd @ 30mph I'm sure... I'm never in 5th gear @ 30 mph... I can tell you I can downshift from 4th to 2nd @ 40mph with little to no problems. Newer transmissions are usually idiot proofed, keeping someone from shoving it into 1st @ 40mph, or going into reverse while going forward (My older cars I could drop it into 1st @ 50mph if I wanted to, not that thats smart with 4.56 gear ratios, but I could do it lmao.gif), but you should have no problems with such an easy downshift.

Do you rev match when you downshift? Say your cruising along @ 40mph, and want to downshift into 3rd in your Tib, you would rev it to 3k then put it in 3rd, this causes less wear on the transmission. You could double clutch if you wanted, with the advent of synchros its not as necessary.

2) Your having synchro problems. Change the manual transmission fluid and see if that alleviates the problem. Use a transmission fluid with the specs for our cars (search will yield you what you need) and see if the condition gets better. If not, then you will need to get the synchros replaced to fix your problem, which involves big money for someone like you who can't take a transmission apart.

3) Hell no. They seem like idiot transmission people to me. You have no obligation to stay with them.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM

DUDE!
You're being PLAYED!

Your 1st to 2nd syncros and your 2nd to 3rd syncros are FAWKED
GO back and if you have a warranty, tell them to shove it and FIX it!
If there is no warranty,.. then you're stuck with having to fix it yourself.

Who double clutches? GEEBUS!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM
MKE

ok. that's what i wanted to know. thatnks alot.

if they tell me i have to take it to that shop for them to fix it, i will be contacting a lawyer to find out.

and the car is still under warrenty. it's just the basic lemon law, but luckily they extended it beyond the 60 days to 120, 6,000 miles. and luckily, the lemon law does cover manual transaxle work, and since they knew about this problem right when i picked up the car, they will fix it.

oh, and i have tried to rev match, since i figured it did the same thing as double clutching, but it doesnt help any with the grinding, so i dont put an effort to do it anymore, nor double clutch.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

It could be something so small. Like, have you check the Manual transmission oil?

Are you using GL-4 Manual tranny oil? I recommend Amsoil MTG 75w90 tranny oil. It cured my 2nd gear syncro problems.

Most likely the Hyundai dealer will deny fixing it because it would have been "beaten"
Old 06-26-2006, 12:55 AM
MKE

i havent checked any of the fluids, because i just bought it in april so i figured it would be all good in that sense, so i also dont know what kind of oil is in it. but it's not under the hyundai warrenty, but is covered by the nys used car lemon law- which covers the transmission components.

and that's why i wanted it fixed then, or atleast made sure they were aware of the problem immediatly after buying the car, so when they found out of the problem, any damage done to the transmission after that doesnt matter. so having it look beaten when i get it fixed, doesnt matter because it's still the same problem now that will be fixed.

i just wasnt sure if it was my driving, because the transmission guy said the tranny's in the import cars you had to double clutch when you downshift and not to listen to anyone who owns a gm manual car because it's completely different and there used to it operating differently. thats why i finally got sick of it and posted this...

an hour or so ago i made a trip to tops, and just seeing if it still does it, i went into 5th at 45mph, slowed down to 35 and tried to go into 3rd and it grinded, but if i drop it back into 4th then push it up to third it's fine. thats why i was also wondering if it might be the forks in the tranny. but either way, it's getting fixed and they will be aware of that tommarrow.

ill try and get a camera so i can get a vid w/ audio of what it does and my driving so if it is that, i can fix it.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 AM

BS... I do not even have to double clutch the transmission in my spider.. and it is probably older than the majority of the people on this forum. The only transmissions you HAVE to double clutch are NON-syncromesh transmissions.. and the last one of those I drove was my old '62 mini..

Like people say above me, you are being taken for a ride. Take the car to the nearest aamco or other real transmission place and get a professional estimate.

And no.. you are NOT required to have your car serviced by the person the dealer told you to. You have the law on your side, make sure you take advantage of that fact.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

How old was this mechanic? Obviously the only thing he knows about imports is what he learned from fast and the furious... ie, not double-clutching lmao.gif

Tell him to view this: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

It explains right on the first page:

Synchronizers
Manual transmissions in modern passenger cars use synchronizers to eliminate the need for double-clutching. A synchro's purpose is to allow the collar and the gear to make frictional contact before the dog teeth make contact.

And yes, Imports are modern passenger cars nana.gif haha.gif
Old 06-26-2006, 01:31 PM
MKE

well, lol, i thought that too- the guy was probably 60 and his business looked like he hadnt done a modern car in a while.

but either way, i just got back from where i bought it, i told them what the tranny guy said about me shifting and stuff, then i told them that i've talked with other people that own the same car and they said it's bs, they dont have to double clutch to downshift, and just how they have known about it since i bought the car, and i want it fixed.

so they told me they can give me a list of other transmission shops, or if i know of any just to take it to them and have the shop call the dealer with what needs to be fixed and they will take care of it. like i said, the dealer is more then willing to fix the problem, it's not a problem with them, just the 1 tranny guy i took it to first.

and that's what i thought the syncros were for to, was to not have to double clutch but the guy said not in these small import trannys, if you downshift you need to double clutch...and although im not a complete car retard, i didnt know much about shifting/manual trannys so i listend to him and didnt thing anything of it until i couldnt shift into 3rd from 5th at 35mph...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
MKE

well, i got some good (great) news (for me anyways), and a question.

the car went in today to the 2nd transmission shop they sent me to, and i got a call around 6pm from the dealership that my car's going to be gone for about 4 days. he said they did get grinding at low speeds, but as i said, they didnt hear anything untill they took it to 4th gear. so he said they are ripping the tranny out rebuilding it.

but after all of that good news, he told me in a pissed off tone that he's kicking himself for not getting more for the car, because he said this repair is gonna cost around 1500$, and after all the other things they fixed/replaced before i would buy the car- they have now lost money on the deal. and then he gave me a speach on not to abuse the tranny and saying i was "racing" it without actually saying it. but i said it was doing it since i bought the car, so whatever.

and my question is, while the tranny is out, do you think it would be worth my time to replace the clutch? it's got about 63000 miles, but the clutch still grips really well (although ive never driven a standard before) i dont really have money- but im thinking id rather do it now while it's already off.