Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Lumpy/lopey Idle

Old 06-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I didn't read the final decision on what to call it in the cam thread but what ever you guys decided to call it that is what my Tib is doing currently. It wouldn't be a problem but I didn't install a new cam, lol. It sounds like a cross between a go-cart and a muscle car! OK, here is the story...

I go to start the Tib and my finger slips off the key. It makes that really bad screaching sound that cars make if you were to turn the key for too long except I held it way too short. My Tib proceeds to putt putt for a moment and then dies. So I wait a moment while I laugh at myself and I go to turn it on again. This time the car putts a few moments after coming on and dies again and I can smell a strong exhaust smell in the air. So, I wait a few moments and turn it back on and this time it putts again but before it can die I hit the gas and rev it up for a few moments and let it back down to get it try and idle again but it almost dies and I rev it up for a moments again. Finally, I let it idle again and this time it doesn't die but it does the lumpy/lopey idle thing and it sounds like a go-cart/muscle car mix. I smell a bunch of gas this time though and I turn it off and go inside for a few moments. When I return it still does theodd idle but I really need to get home so I proceed to come on home.

When I stop at a stoplight it goes to 2K rpms before coming back down to 1K and doing the idle thing. Each time I take off I end up having to take off at about 3K to avoid it stalling. While I'm on the Highway it drives fine and almost feels like the throttle has more power but that may have been my imagination/paranoia. After my 25 mile trip home I sit in my driveway and let it idle but this time it doesn't fall below 1.5K and varies by itself between 1.5K and 2K mostly staying at 2K. Then I turn it off and come inside. It didn't have the strong exhaust or gas smells when I turned it off. Before all this the car ran just fine. Ideas? It is 6:22AM and I just came home from clubbing/breaking up with my g/f and so I'm pooped. I must sleep a little before tackling this.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

can you get it to a shop better able to diagnose it? Not an AutoZone OBDII reader (I'm assuming there's no CEL) but a real shop that can hook it up to a computer at idle and see what's missing.

I'd start with a simple look around. I don't think your finger slip is at fault, just coincidence. Mainly check you IAC tubing and electrical connections.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM

They all seem fine. I replaced one vacuum hose from the airram to my fuel rail and reset the ECU. It seemed to make it worse. Now, it just dies after putting for a little bit.

My dad suggested that the timing might be off from what he hears? Is that possible? Can you jump timing from a bad start? How would I be able to tell good versus bad timing? He says he has a "timing light" but I don't have a clue where to start with that.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

was that all that happened? a finger slip? You didn't set your timing or anything? Did you replace anything recently?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM

The only thing I've done to the Tib in the past 3+ months is replace the brake lines.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:40 PM
DTN

Um... Yeah, you should check your check engine light... or if you have one of Jay-Ms obd-ii readers you can check all that info that patreezy is talking about. If they can't diagnose it, try to get the info and post it here. It's definately a timing issue. The only question is why are you having this timing issue?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Oh, forgot to mention. There is no CEL.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:24 AM

I get to pick up my Tib tomorrow. According to Ted Wiens it was the PCV Valve and tubing needing to be replaced. Only cost me $140! mad.gif
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

ONLY? LOL. The PCV valve is a $5 part, brand new..

You got owned.gif man..
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM
DTN

QUOTE (tiburonmoo @ Jun 26 2007, 06:24 AM)
I get to pick up my Tib tomorrow. According to Ted Wiens it was the PCV Valve and tubing needing to be replaced. Only cost me $140! mad.gif

Did they ever do anything having to do with your timing? A PCV does not explain a gas smell or a screetching sound. Last time I changed my PCV, it cost $2.57 in parts and 5 minutes worth of my labor. Something dosn't sound right. Like why the heck would a PCV cost $140?