Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Lsd Swap

Old 07-22-2006, 12:23 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

He recently blew his 3rd gear and swapped the transmission

i'll have to take pictures the 3rd gears one is totally round wink1.gif

so far, the Phantom grip served me well,my last set of front tires was evenly weared
i't's not a REAL LSD' but it does the job for 75% of most car guys
Old 07-22-2006, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

well i plan on going up to 300ish so i dont think id like to be the first one to try to get there without blowing something with the tranny, and i wouldnt want to be the one to "prove" the exact point where it fails, or sit and wonder when/if it will go...

When i go LSD route, im going quaife most likely

peace of mind is worth 700 bucks to me.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:09 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

QUOTE (Agarwal @ Jul 22 2006, 06:04 AM)
Nobody EVER blew a tranny because of the Phantom Grip. That has never been proved. Ever. Onpol was one of the first guys to run a "big" turbo setup and used a PG. The PG myth started with him. But he blew the transmission because 1) he was on true slicks (ie, mad traction) 2) he didn't solder the spyder gear pin when he installed the PG (which is necessary on our transmissions) 3) he never actually proved that the CAUSE was the PG.

I know Onpol story, because I ran a PG after him... Onpol's PG, which he sold to me, and which was still perfectly fine. Never had a problem with it. I ran it on my turbo tib (~220hp at that time, to be fair).

Denisst99 has been driving with his PG for 3+ years. You can't find anybody else who's harder on a transmission than him. He recently blew his 3rd gear and swapped the transmission (along with the PG, of course), but if you actually know a little about transmissions, you know it can't be related with the PG (and it wasn't).

LarryMcFly take SOLO with his car. He has a PG. As far as I know, he never complained about it.

I know of at least 5 other guys, locally, that have PGs (including the guy I sold my old PG to) and are all happy. At least 2 are turbo.

Now... saying that the PG is evil in itself is PURE KEYBOARD ENGINEERING. The Hyundai community has been spreading that myth far too long. It must now come to an end.

You won't blow anything with the PG. You won't get all the benefits of a true LSD, neither, but the price tag is nice compared to a true LSD.

I'm currently running a KaaZ, if you're wondering.

see the problem is onpol wasnt the ONLY person to have problems with it there were a few people on hp.com that did infact some had problems with it after like a 80 shot

dont get me wrong if i was doin a minor turbo setup with a goal of around 200hp i would install one but i would rather get a true LSD if i was goin any higher
Old 07-22-2006, 09:45 AM

^Did those persons weld the spyder gear pin? No? That's what I thought.

Some people are saying that 9/11 was false too, that it was arranged by the government. Does it make it true? eek13.gif You can say anything on the net.

See, I know FIRST HAND that it works good, even for >250hp setups. If you blow a tranny with a PG, you'd also blow it with a true LSD, even more. Like I said, I know plenty of guys that has PG installed, and Denis knows many, MANY more since he installs one at this shop once in a while (he also installs Quaifes and KaaZ).

You guys have *read* (ie, 95% of the guys talking about the PG has NO experience with it, on any car, whatsoever) so many times that the PG is evil that you can't think about it any other way now. That's Keyboard Engineering.

Fear of destroying the tranny should not be part of the decision to choose the PG or not. Your HP goal and your budget should.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Well, my Beta motor was doing about 135hp when it left Korea in 1997, ill probubly put a CAI on it, so i would assume that it is still under 300whp, ill put it on the dyno when im done to make sure. The key information that im seeing here is that A: the PG is not bad, B: Aftermarket manufacturers make a true limited slip to fit our cars and a couple of mitsubishis, so logic would dictate that if a differential from these cars will fit tib, anything that the mitsu guys have fit into their cars has a chance of fitting in a tib. I have more research to do.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:59 PM

OK, back on topic, I dont give a damn about the phantom grip right now. I got a line on a 03 sante fa with a 4 banger and a manual transmission, i dont know if it is 2wd or 4wd, but will it have an lsd in it? will it fit in a tib tranny?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 PM

well.....

this is the eternal quest....

I just found those for Eclipse 420A...

no Mirage...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

kaaza
ATS

I think the ATSis good we have one and it is tested up to 550hp and tested on the track its on My man drag car here.. 3 races and no problems + we r running 26 inch MT et drag slicks

i have to get a diff and tranny case over to cusco so they can get one made for use i have been draging my feet on this