Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Low End High Torque Cams

Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys let me start off I've already searched, a lot for some time now. I have the 1.8L engine right now so the standard 1.8 cam swap wont help what I'm specifically looking for are short duration, high lift ration cams to produce low end high torque. I'm not into high top end peformance but would rather build a "stump puller" tib for much quicker 0-30 acceleration. I also may just get the cam gear and advance it 2-3 degrees. Has anything out there seen these for low end build ups? I know our engines are not built for this but that's why I'm doing it. Thanks for your replies, and if you all can help I'll be the guinie pig and post any results.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well high comp pistons would be a good start. I think the Tib has a pretty short short duration from the factory.

To be honest I don't see how you'll get that much gains low end. Supercharger maybe.

4-cylinders are just high revvy engines to begin with and it would take a lot of cash and modifying to get them anywhere near the way trucks are with them reaching max torque ~2500rpm.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Alright, I do understand most 4-cylinders are very revvy, but my friend gave me spin in his '89 1.8L VW Jetta N/A and that thing screwed off the line and kept the rpms pretty low, (I know a totally different animal) but I was just curious if a set of similar cams were made for hyundai or if someone custon grinded them. So would my only real option be advancing the intake cam with a sprocket to 4 degrees be my best bet then? I'm pretty desperate for almost all my power between 2000-4000 rpms. I know about UD Pully sets, and what has been listed, I HATE the idea of having to use premium gas but I'm sure a SC, High-comp piston Tib is the only way I'll be happy hail.gif Thank you, guess I'm gonna look for a newer motor, no way mine would take it.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:37 PM

What are you realloy looking for? If you are going to look for another engine that means you have money, what kind of money are you willing to put in to get your goal?
the cam sprocket would be a good starting point, then I'd suggest increasing breathing ability on the intake side, sepcifically BBTB, matching the intake manifold to the BBTB diameter, and why not while you are at it, gasket match the IM to avoid restrictions there. While not increasing your HPs, this is suposed to increase your torque a little (I remember an OLD post from Random back then in the TeamSR forums... stating this I say)
Also, liberating the breathing on the exhaust side WILL help your torque, and I am not talking about headers and a straight through design (which help the most on high rpms) but a less restrictive muffler, preferably not straight thru.
What wheels are you wearing on your car? Because using big wheels usually generate the feeling of lower torque (actually the torque to the pavement is lower if you use to big wheels); if you are on 15" wheels, use 195/50 tires and you'll gain a tad, like if you shortened your gear ratio.
And finally, if you are not mad over top end HPs, and top speed, you could get from Korea the short gear ratios they have for our transmissions, I think they were around $400
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

where could one find these gears from now? or are they just out of production all together?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

the came gears are not a good ideal.. low end cams you want 268 and turbo and high rpm cams are 272 i can get them for you guys but they are not cheap used clean ones are 800 new they are 1500 to 1800 buck, i was able to get my form a friend for 620 but here they don't use the cam gears because they break
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

but I'm sure a SC, High-comp piston Tib is the only way

I assume you meant SC or high comp pistons as high comp pistons and F/I dont go together.

SC would give you your stump puller feel and would still pull all the way to redline.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM

I didn't know about the cam sprocket Mad_john, it's good I posted here, because that was going to be my next purchase, you saved me.

As for SC, I guess the question is more inclined to "how can I improve my torque not expensively" because if you have $2500+ budget for the engine then even a turbo would raise your torque (and your power also wink1.gif

Seriously, mechanicaly the only way of getting serious performance is to increase compression, the other things would help, but not a lot. However, if you do complimentary things your gains would be bigger.

www.kspec.com used to sell the gear ratios to get a shorter final gear ratio, and that would be just as if you changed every transmission gear to make them shorter, so the feel would be like your car pulls better. It all depends on what you want, the feeling or dou you actually want an engine with more torque.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the replies guys it has put things into perspective. Right now I'm picking up a 2.0L engine and I'll swap my old 1.8 cams. And thanks Zman I'm definately picking up a new BBTB and IM as soon as Richard Petty's machine shop has got them. Yeah money's not the biggest issue but I've already had a SC car and didn't want to go the FI route again. I will definately check into those gear ratios, I've never heard of them before. Thanks