Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Just Installed = Maintec Gt Headers. *New Problem*

Old 03-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, just finished the install, just waiting for the engine to cool off a bit from the drive home from Midas so I can hook up the second o2 sensor.

I got ROYALLY f***ed on getting the new cat welded in, and I'm pretty unhappy with what they did, but it's over so I can't fix it right now. After I get my Apexi exhaust in, I'll find a different welding shop and have them just directly weld it all together.

This thing looks great in the engine bay, and now that the smoke is cleared from the curing ceramic coat, I'm glad I got it done. I DID have to cut one of my manifold studs, by about 4 threads, and since I lost one of my nuts that hold the manifold on, I replaced them all. The downpipe on the manifold matched up PERFECTLY to all the studs, and I could have mounted it directly to the OEM cat (I should have done this, and just had them put a o2 bung in behind it). I also was able to use Faithofadragon's trick on the primary o2 sensor. You just cut the electrical tape and take the wiring out of the loom as far back as you can. Then retape and re-loom it all and push it around the back. Looks totally stock, and NO cuts or splices. Unfortuantely though, I'll have to cut/splice on the secondary o2 sensor wire (CEL came on on the way home).

Pics are coming, I just want to wait till it's all done.

BTW, I know I should have looked elsewhere to get it done, but I went to Midas because I was told it would cost $80 to get my cat welded in place. When I showed up, guess what? The $80 pricetag was to weld it directly to the header downpipe and to the exhaust. They refused to do it when I arrived because of my ceramic coating and charged me $197 after tax to install it. I go out there to see what they did after it was done, and THEY CUT THE FLANGES OFF THE OEM CAT AND WELDED THEM ONTO THE NEW HIGH FLOW CAT!!!! So now my exhaust goes from 2.5, to 2.25, to 2.50 in the cat, then 2.25 on the second flange and through the stock exhaust. I had to have the car to pick up the family since I took the truck this morning to do chores.

Proper f***ed.

So, when the Apexi shows up, should I just install it, take out the cat, and have someone weld new flanges on it with 2.5 opening and exit, then install that? Or should I just have the cat welded in line with the others and have my coating messed up at the end (no one will ever see it)?

Ideas
Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000

Go with new flanges. You never know if your cat is going to need to be replaced for some reason. Could you just grind out the flange to 2.5 so you wouldnt have to have new ones put on? just a thought.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Redz, Go back there and tell them they are IDIOTS.

What they just did is completely retarded. THEY HAVE flanges 2.5", why on earth would they cut and use the 2 1/4 ones I have no idea. I would of raised some shit and refused to pay until its exactly what I wanted. Esp for 200$.

This is what I would do:

Come back and tell them to give you 2.5" Flanges for FREE, since they are f*** tards and messed it up. Esp when paying 200$ for a couple welds. If they don't want to do that, grind out your 2.25" to 2.5". I would def stir up some crap with Midas.

Than use those flanges and re weld them on your cat when you get the apexi in. I wouldn't cut the flange off the dp and weld the cat straight in. If you ever need to replace your cat, or want to take your system apart to sell it it will be much easier that way. Also why ruin the coating?

Do you have a DIY shop around you? You can do this all by yourself, and have a guy at the shop there welded for you for 20$.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:32 PM

When I was shopping around to get my DP, flex pipe, and CAT welded, all custom muffler shops around here don't have 2.5" flange. They only have 2 or 2..25".

If I were you, I would just cut all the flanges and have them welded in. You don't need to worry about exhaust leak anymore, but the down side is that you can't put or replace some bolt on parts by yourself without cutting and welding.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 PM

^^^
That's what I was thinking too.

They only charged me for labor, but it still f***ed me hard.

I'll be stirring up a ruckus. I may go and get them ground out, as they did a VERY nice weld job, and it's all very nice (even put new bolts and nuts on and such). I've got some time, and want it done right, so I think I'll just get the new flanges and have it all done RIGHT this next time. I was just very angry earlier.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

Midas sucks as much in the US as they do here in Australia.

I'd take it back and make them redo all the flanges for nothing, going 2.5 - 2.25 then back again is just plain lazy and stupid. I'd get your A'pexi installed by a good independant exhaust shop, hopefully with a performance background.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm putting my own exhaust on. I just can't weld, so I needed this done.

I'm thinking about getting it reground, but I'm worried about getting a ton of shit inside the cat.

But that would probably be the cheapest and best way to do it, as those flanges are STRONG, the welds are great, and it fits perfectly. New exhaust shows up, I'd just have to bolt it onto the cat.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

y not? its not hard lol. lmao.gif joke.gif but yea man did you at least get a reach around? cuz that is violent lol
Old 03-10-2007, 01:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000

If your worried about getting crap in your cat while grinding just throw a small rag in the end while you grind.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

i wanna see how it looks redz!!! i'm planning on getting those headers too! can you get indepth detail on the power range and engine response?