Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Interface Cable/OBDii Software

Old 07-15-2001, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Interface Cable/OBDii Software

Zup...I did a search in the old forums at FxTreme, and I saw that A.Curtas was doing some kind of group buy thing for interface cables, and the OBD software for laptops. Did anyone here end up getting this? I have a laptop, and I'm thinking about going to the computer store to buy a new interface cable. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have the software? Where exactly can get it? If someone does have the software, is there any way they can put it up on ftp, so I can download it, and burn it on a cd-rom for my laptop? It sounds like a really sweet idea due to the fact that I'm able to see what my engine diagnostics are. I take it I DEFINITLY need the software to do this? Like what would happen if I just plugged in the interface cable to the laptop without the software? Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated. Thanx!
Old 07-16-2001, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't organizing the group buy. I was interested in it, but couldn't participate because: a) I was still in grad school and did not have the flow and cool.gif don't have a laptop.

it seems like a sweet setup, and when my home one dies, I'm upgrading the computer with a laptop. Then I'll be interested again in the OBDII datalogging stuff.

Good luck with it. I'd be interested to hear any results from someone who bought the cabling.

later,
a
Old 07-16-2001, 01:38 AM

Actually, I just looked at the date of that post. I did have the flow (I had graduated since then and started my job), but no laptop sad.gif

Red was actually organizing that with some DSM people on another forum. I don't know why the search came up with my name (maybe I was the last person to use the phrase OBDII or something)

a
Old 07-16-2001, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I have the software and cable.

It is good, but not great. It can reset check engine lights, but not airbag lights.

It can tell you the reading from just about any sensor in the car, but...it is slow if you use them all.

If you use less than 5 parameters, it gets about 2 readings a second. If you use all the possible parameters it only updates each about once every 2 seconds.

So it is not a GREAT system. I use it alot to reset CEL's and find out what codes caused the CEL in the first place.

I also used in the testing of the random special CAI. I went with the intake design that gave me the highest reading from the MAF, so that means the most air flow.

I then use the IAT sensor to find the coldest air, and to measure the gains from heatwraping the CAI (over 30 degree drop in temp!).

If you have any questions on it, I will do my best to answer them.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Random:
I have the software and cable.

It is good, but not great. It can reset check engine lights, but not airbag lights.

It can tell you the reading from just about any sensor in the car, but...it is slow if you use them all.

If you use less than 5 parameters, it gets about 2 readings a second. If you use all the possible parameters it only updates each about once every 2 seconds.

So it is not a GREAT system. I use it alot to reset CEL's and find out what codes caused the CEL in the first place.

I also used in the testing of the random special CAI. I went with the intake design that gave me the highest reading from the MAF, so that means the most air flow.

I then use the IAT sensor to find the coldest air, and to measure the gains from heatwraping the CAI (over 30 degree drop in temp!).

If you have any questions on it, I will do my best to answer them.

This OBDII, is it for just Tib's? Where can one purchase the software and what interface cable does it need?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2001, 12:59 PM

Random, what type of connection is it on the computer? Is it the serial port? I am curious how it works. And there most likely is a way that you can make the software to refresh itself faster of an update that you could find from the maker of the software too.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Okay OBD-ii is ANY Car sold in the USA made after 1996.

The "interface" is different from car to car, as are the exact "codes" the engine spits out. So the software AND Cable, need to match your car Manufacturer.

You CANNOT make the software re-fresh any faster as it is a limitation of the CAR ECU/Interface, not the software.

I have tried to contact the Software Manufacturer for updates/tips/tricks, with no luck. There is no "help" file with the software, and there is no "manual" with the software. It is strictly "learn as you go" stuff.

The Interface terminates into a 10-Base-T connector, which then plugs into a 10-Base-T to Serial Adapter. There is some internal chips in the adapter, so it is just not a "standard" adapter.

I've tried it on Pentium III laptops and my old trusty 468DX4-100 Laptop. It refreshes at the same speed. So it's not software/laptop dependant.