Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Intake Question for Random

Old 04-10-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Question for Random

hey random
i installed an aftermarket intake and now the engine is bogging down when i let off the gas in gear, almost like its gonna stall. I didn't have the Temp sensor in i didnt have the tools to drill the hole. so now the CEL is on...thats no prob but i put the Temp sensor in the intake and i still have the same problem. Here are some pics of what i did to give you a better idea...

this is where i put the Temp sensor today

this is to show that i think the MAFS is the correct direction.

and this is a full shot of the job
The filter is under the radiator but not hitting anything blocking airflow so i dont what it could be. thanks for the help
Dave

[ April 10, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: dc1238 ]
Old 04-10-2002, 05:28 AM

check the MAF sensor,... mine has an arrow,... check to see if yors has one too

It points in the direction thatte air should be going

BTW,... does our car knd of studder on low RPMS, yet its ok at hih rpms??
Im just rying to figure out if we might have the same problem
http://www.teamsr.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c;f=29;t=000311
Old 04-10-2002, 06:39 AM

I put mine in (on the 99 tib) backwards once and had the Same problem. Mine also smoked.
By the looks of your pic's it looks to be backwards.. Causes the engine to run REALLY rich.
Good luck.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:26 AM

ok guys i hear ya about that MAF sensor..i had that prob once but the car wouldnt even drive...if you look at the second pic you can see the arrow facing towards the throttle body....i think it might be air temp sensor...the hole i drilled was a little big and it may be leaking or shaking around...someone please let me know if this could be the prob....BTW car is stalling but only in low gears at low RPM
Old 04-10-2002, 12:28 PM

THATS PRETTY MUCH WHAT I GOT!!!

Does your do it a full throttle too???
at low rpms of course

it feels like if its chugging???

i noticed my air temp sensor was out a bit

it could be that

can it?

BTW try reseting the ECU

[ April 10, 2002, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]
Old 04-10-2002, 01:06 PM
arn

random, correct me if I'm wrong.In the pics he posted rolleyes.gif , shouldn't the air temp sensor be in front of the mafs rather than after. He installed the sensor after the mafs. do you think that is why he's bogging?

aren't all intakes no matter who made them installed like this ?

[ April 10, 2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: arn ]
Old 04-10-2002, 01:13 PM

i doubt it matters since its only detecting temp
Old 04-10-2002, 01:18 PM
arn

you think so? I mean wouldn't that send the wrong message to the ecu, and trigger a cel.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:12 PM

Temp and airflow as measurements should be completely unrelated. I'd still change it though, just cuz I'm fussy like that. tongue.gif

I can see in the pic that the arrow is right--you didn't cut the grill out, did you? That might cause the problem--the grill acts to 'smooth' the airflow across the pipe; without it the air could get stagnant around the edges when you let off the accelerator suddenly, causing an artificially low airflow reading at the sensor(which of course would force the fuel flow down too low).

[ April 10, 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 04-10-2002, 04:11 PM

hey guys....
no i didnt cut that little grill out of the MAF sensor and your right the temp sensor WAS before the MAF but that really shouldnt make a difference. im letting the silicon around the temp sensor grommet dry overnight and then put the sensor back in the pipe and have the code cleared...i went to hyundai today and the guys over there cleared the code for a temp sensor error, something about low voltage and a couple other related things...air temp low and something else. but the CEL came back on in about 15 mins.
so ill try this and have them clear it again and see what happens. i just dont need this screwin with me for to long ill just put the damn cheesy cone set-up back in....