Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Intake Mod

Old 04-23-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 Sonata
Default Intake Mod

I have a question. If I was to disconnect the stock intake box on my 01 Accent and attach a cone filter would that do the same thing as those expensive air intake mods? Or what if I added a K&N filter in the box instead of a regular filter would that add horsepower also?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 99 tiburon

Strapping a filter onto the throttle body hose will be almost like having a ram air intake. That is what I have right now. I have noticed a quicker acceleration with it on and a much meaner sound.
A CAI is a lot better because it takes in cool air instead of the hot engine air like the ram does.
Ram is only good if you have a special hood for it so that the air can be cooled.
My intake gets warm from the engine but it isn't that bad because I live in Montana and it is 40 degrees here
As soon as I can though, I will be getting a CAI.

Hope that helped wink

[ April 23, 2002, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Phantom ]
Old 04-23-2002, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

True,
The cone filter will give you noticeable results. But keep in mind to reset your ECU. When I strapped on my cone filter it seemed to make the car slower. After resetting the ECU all is fine. Disconnect the battery for about 20min. Also I got a little creative. I removed the entire airbox including the box underneath the battery plate. By Removing the wheel well cover and pulling it out from there, I then went to home depot and purchased some 4" aluminum duct tubing the king used on oven vent's and ran it from my open open factory fog light vents into my cone filter. To give it a semi Ram Air effect.I would use a Ractive air filter with the heat sheild if you want to go this route. I noticed a difference in the 40-60mph zone after implementing this..
Old 04-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Jame'L:
I have a question. If I was to disconnect the stock intake box on my 01 Accent and attach a cone filter would that do the same thing as those expensive air intake mods? Or what if I added a K&N filter in the box instead of a regular filter would that add horsepower also?
It would be an improvement over stock, but it would not provide the same gains that a 'true' cold air intake would. You don't necessarly have to go with a K&N brand filter. Any decent cone filter with an open element sides and top will do the trick.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:03 AM

If you can't afford the 100+ dollars for a CIA, then using a cone is definately the way to go for now!