Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Installed 1.8l Cam Yesterday...

Old 11-05-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ I didn't remove any connections. I can hear the fuel pump when the ignition is on so I'm guessing it's getting fuel too.

I'll try re-installing the old cam to see if that makes any difference. I'll also check everything else. A couple of people, & webtech, have said a dud cam position sensor could be the reason it won't start though... that's where I got that idea from. It'd suck if I pulled the VC off & swapped the cams back over only to find it is in fact the sensor sad.gif

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Nov 6 2006, 04:43 PM)
Just to double check that your cams are aligned correctly, make sure that the locking pins (the little rectangular peices that keep the cam sprockets from spinning) are both facing exactly up with each other. If one isn't clocked correctly, it will be noticable. Just double check that please.

Does the engine sound normal during cranking? Or does it sound like there is a loss of compression (less of a thud thud thud)?

When I first installed my adjustable cam sprocket and adjusted it, my car wouldn't start either. I think the lifters might inflate with oil when the cam is out and then the intake valves never close?? It took me a few tries to get it to fire.

You sure you got the right cam?

I know the things you're talking about: they're aligned properly too.

Engine sounded a little wheezy when it cranked over... kinda sounded like spark wasn't getting to it but when I checked the plugs, there was plenty of spark. It just refused to kick over & start.

Trust me, I tried starting it so many times that it eventually flattened my brand new extra heavy duty battery. I then tried jump starting it with my flat mate's Accord & still no joy. I tried it again this morning before work, thinking maybe it was just flooded or being temperamental... still nothing sad.gif

It's definitely the right cam. The lobes look identical to the one in someones DIY pics I saw a while back & saved to my hard-drive... Whoever's pic this pic is...

Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Im telling you, ive had the cmp not hooked up at all and so has bryan (his on accident) and the car still starts and idles "fine"

BUT go ahead and change the cmp and try to start it, its pretty easy to get to and should only take a couple seconds, if you happen to have the camshaft position sensor on hand, i believe i have an extra one, if not bryan should have one of the two that i sent over with selina's car if you really cant find one.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

get me a pic of cams from the top and the cam gears as well
Old 11-05-2006, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^^ Cheers for the offer but I'm in Australia & I'd need to wait a fair while for it coming from the States. I'm getting one, hopefully sometime tomorrow from a guy in Sydney.

I'll see if the weather holds up... I might try swapping the cam back over tonight when I get home.

M_J: I took one yesterday showing the position of the cams on the chain... Hang on a sec...

Here we go...

Sorry about the camera-phone pic but my ex has got the digi cam. You can make out the position of the indicator dots & count the link spacing from that pic though. The pic is obviously before the journal bolts were tightened.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 PM

I just installed my 1.8L cam on Friday and I didn't have any problem with it starting up. At first I was thinking that yours wasn't lined up correctly, but after seeing that pic it looks good. Then chain kinda looks a little loose though. -- That's what I kinda thought--
Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Then chain kinda looks a little loose though.

The pic is obviously before the journal bolts were tightened.

wink1.gif
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

line the 2 black links up on the chain.. i will also check on the the parts you wanted as well they are not that much at all here

also can you get me a pic form looking down as well from above
Old 11-06-2006, 06:01 AM

This sounds exactly like what happened to me when I did my install.

I was convinced it was the Cam Position Sensor too. But it wasn't.

I ended up putting the old cam back in and it ran fine.

The problem you are experiencing is normal. The computer has to learn that there is a new cam in there and adjust to it.

You may have to crank for over a minute to get the car running. And when it does run it will run VERY rough. Don't worry. That is normal. After about a minute or two of rough running the engine will smooth right out and be fine.

After hearing the whol story above I would just get a boost or a good charge on the battery and turn that SOB over till it starts. fing02.gif
Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well he said that he tried to crank it so much the battery died lol.

Depends on how long he held the key on I guess.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

wow.. i was think about f***in with my 1.8cam today but i think i'll wait till oz get his shit workin to see how he fixed his problem. i dont want the same troubles