Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   Installed 1.8l Cam Yesterday... (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/installed-1-8l-cam-yesterday-39407/)

OzFxCoupe 11-05-2006 06:07 PM

Hey!

So yesterday I finally took the time to install the 1.8L cam I've had lying around for a while.

I followed the DIY instructions to the letter & was very careful not to damage anything while the valve-cover was off. Once the cam was in, I cranked the engine to check that the cam was spinning properly before reinstalling the VC.

After everything was reassembled, I went to start her up & it cranked fine but just refused to start. After trying this a few times with no joy, I checked that everything was where it should be, checked the wires, checked the plugs... tried to start it & still it would just kinda cough & splutter but wouldn't start.

Assuming the cam was installed wrong, I pulled the VC back off, checked that the cams were spaced 5 links apart, which they were, put it back together again & still the fvcker wouldn't start.

I pulled it apart one last time, this time removing the cam & starting the install all over again... but after putting it back together for the third time, the car still wouldn't start.

It's not the wires. It's not the plugs. I'm pretty sure it isn't the starter as it cranks just fine. I'm thinking it's the ingnition coil or the cam position sensor but I don't have any meters to test these before buying new ones.

Any ideas? Is there something really stupid that I've missed? I was really careful when removing the old cam & each time I installed the new one & made extra efforts not the touch the cam position sensore but I'm stumped as to what else the problem might be.

If anyone can help, it'd be hugely appreciated as I'd hate to have to call a mechanic out.

EDIT*: Just called the dealership about pricing & they want $195AU for the cam sensor & $270AU for the coil sad.gif

I hope it's neither of those...

hamhead 11-05-2006 06:29 PM

Put the old one back in and see if it starts?

OzFxCoupe 11-05-2006 06:42 PM

^ I could do that... but it'd be a pain in the arse. I'm pretty sure the cam isn't the problem.

Also, after all the cranking the battery was starting to go so after the final cam re-installation, I rolled the car out of the apartment block's sloped carpark so I could get my flat mate to jump-start it (also tried roll-starting it with no success). It didn't work & now my car is at the bottom of the sloping driveway, partially blocking access to the building car park, lol. So, basically my car is no longer under cover... it's about 50 metres downhill from my unit's parking space... & it's been raining for 4 days straight so working on the car now will be a little tricky.

hamhead 11-05-2006 06:54 PM

Where'd you get the cam?

I believe the cam sensor works off a magnet where it sits near the cam. If the cam itself is messed up in that area it would cause problems i think.

Dunno much how about cam position sensors though.

TopSpeedFX 11-05-2006 07:02 PM

Honestly man, I know its a PIA but trying the stocker again is a good idea. You've got to trouble shoot it man. Id do that over and over, rather than buying new sensors and seeing if they are even the problem. But its all up to you. lol

OzFxCoupe 11-05-2006 07:13 PM

I might be able to get the sensor for $10 & postage off an Aussie Hyundai club member... fingers crossed.

If it's the coil, he has one for $40 smile.gif

Osv4 11-05-2006 07:30 PM

y are u so lazy to put the old one back in and see how it works? so u know for sure whats wrong around there =|

OzFxCoupe 11-05-2006 07:34 PM

^ Because I know the cam is good: It came from a trusted person & I'm pretty sure it was installed correctly. Also, the car is now out of the garage & it's raining. It'd take 2 minutes to change the sensor & a good half hour or more to change the cam.

Osv4 11-05-2006 07:38 PM

yeah..if u are sure its not the cam then thats a different thing..just get it back on the road or at least back in ur garage tongue.gif

OzFxCoupe 11-05-2006 07:46 PM

^ Are you offering to come over & give it a push?

I tried that with my 100+kg 6'3" flatmate yesterday & we couldn't even get it back up the driveway into the undercover carpark... let alone to the end of the carpark & back into our garage.

It aint moving until I can get it started again sad.gif