Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

IM and COOLING

Old 05-01-2002, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IM and COOLING

I know this may be odd but ehh It makes sense to me.
We all know the IM gets nice and toasty even with a CAI.
Would there be any advantage to making a water cooled heatsink. Either using the stock cooling system (and rigging up a secondary raditor like the ones used for trannies) or a seperate one that uses a small electric pump.

It could be inexpensive and while no "big" gains every little bit helps.

Just a thought.

[ May 01, 2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Dixiflatline ]
Old 05-01-2002, 06:47 AM

It would be better to actually have the IM ceramic coated. That would be far simplier and not add any weight to your car (fluid wheighs). If you are still concerned about heat use a hood with a reverse duct to allow the heat to exit the egine compartment.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:54 AM

Im thinking about that as well. Im tring to desing want I want and plan ahead.
Not intrrested in just tosing on mods but doing it right. Right now Im doing the intake system. THe colder the better..
Im also look at hood scoops from jcwitney. I might (might) use a heat sink I got from my last job (thing is huge about 1/4 the size of the IM top)

HMMMMM Ill see what happens when I get the BBTB. On the ceramic note anyone know where I can send this out and have it done. No one around here does that.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:10 AM

Check out the talk in this thread:

(EDIT, damn multitasking, too many windows makes for wrong links copied--I was linking to the phenolic spacer thread)
http://www.teamsr.org/UBB/ultimatebb.php?u...t=001398#000000

Also do a search here on "manifold spacer"--insulating the manfold from the engine block will do more to keep air cool and is a far easier solution than any type of active cooling system. There's not much sense in cooling the intake manifold when it is in direct contact with the block--the heat draw would have to be enormous to significantly affect temperature, and to run this cooling system you would be using engine power--the parasitic losses could result in a net decrease in power. Once the manifold is properly insultated, any futher cooling would be much easier and far more efficient.

[ May 02, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 05-02-2002, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Veniston:
Check out the talk in this thread:

http://www.teamsr.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c;f=16;t=001923
Uh..that thread you linked to is about fuel lines and installing a T fitting for a fuel pressure gauge!

Ceramic coating the IM would be the easiest solution. Next would be the pheonlic spacer between the head and IM. Last would be the hood scoop to direct cold air over the IM.

Jaws021 has a WRX hood scoop. His IM DOES appear to be cooler since he installed the scoop.

A water heat sink would simply be to heavy to show any benefit, and overly complicated. water, a pump, a tank, water/air radiator mounted somewhere.

Rather than a water heatsink, if anything, i would reccomend a water spray that would mist water into the scoop that would then coat the IM with water and cool it off.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:30 AM

Thanx. I have some ideas where I want to start now.
Gotta rember Little steps its all in the little steps.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:17 PM

There is only one thing that I was wondering...

Since the air is rushing through quite fast, would the heat from the IM have a signifigant effect on the air?
Old 05-03-2002, 04:49 PM

In the temperature range we're talking, the density increases 3-5% for every 10°F. Since there is a directly proportional relationship between the density of air and the number of oxygen atoms it contains, this means an increase of up to 5% oxygen for every 10°F you can lower the air temp. Note that as the temperature of the air increases, its density decreases(specific volume increases), leading to higher turbulence & flow losses.

The stock IM is fairly rough inside, which is conducive to heat transfer. If it were ceramic coated or extrude honed, there would be less turbulence, leading to lower heat transfer, which is part of the reason these processes are beneficial. Insulating the IM from the block will lower the IM's temperature dramatically, resulting in lower temperature and therefore higher density air delivered to the cylinders.

So basically, yeah, it pays to try to reduce the intake air temp. Higher velocities mean higher flow losses and higher heat transfer coefficients(even though the contact time is lower, the rate of heating per unit time is higher).