Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ignition Coil Pack?

Old 04-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I just got my tib back last week after not having it for nearly two months after some major problems with the engine were fixed. The place called me the day before it was done saying we're putting her back together, it'll probably be done tomorrow. Well I go to pick it up the next day and they said, we ran it for 20 minutes, it blew a fuse. We replaced the fuse, and it blew it again. We determined it was your ignition coil pack, replaced it, and test drove it, now it's fine.

I drove it home from school (~150 miles) then almost another 100 miles back around home here with no problems. My dad took the car one morning to go to an appointment, and got gas on the way back. He made one more stop, and when he started the car again on his way home, it was shaking like crazy.
Well he made it home and told me about it. Since it was so bad, I couldn't chance taking it to Auto Zone to get the codes read, so I took it straight to a local mechanic here, flashing CEL and all!

They told me that the they needed to replace the ignition coil! I explained to them how it was the very last thing replaced from another shop, just about a week ago. They then said, well, it could be a computer problem then. Now, I just replaced my transmission computer (it's an auto) with all the engine work, I'm assuming the coil pack is controlled by the ECU.

So my question is, is the ECU a likely problem? Is there more than one coil pack? They told me cylinders 2 and 3 were misfiring. Why would it run fine for a week, and 250 miles, and just go out randomly? I was curious if it had anything to do with just filling it up before this happened, could it have been a bad tank of gas?

Thanks for help in advance, it's just a little frustrating, I've spent more fixing this car than what I bought it for, and haven't gotten a chance to do any mods yet, aside from an in dash tv screen and some tail lights. At one point I had big plans for this car, but now I'm out of money sad.gif
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Well, a flash CEL means a misfire. Check the plug wires for damage, and spark plugs. I would also bring it back to the old shop that changed your coil pack, they should garantee their work.

They would be obligated to fix what they probably screw up.

Plus I wouldnt think it's the gas. There is no gas that a gas station could possible sell that would make your car shake and throw CEL's left and right unless they pored water in there pipes. Think of the rest of the people that gased there. That gas station would have a major problem on their hands.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:32 PM

First off,... get a code before you start throwing parts at it,...

If you must,... do what Tanc suggest,... flashing CEL is ignition related,... go with what's cheap first.
Plugs and then while you're changing them, take a look at the wires,... if there are "white streaks"on them then they are arcing and need to be replaced, but if they are not cracked, or have the white marks they should be fine, unless it's got an internal crack / open. But kinda unlikely,...

Last is the Coil, and yes, you only have 1 Coil pack.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Make sure to call the guy at the shop you worked on your car. His work should be warantied. He needs to fix your problem.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I don't mean to make this thread sound like a broken record, but i cannot stress enough that taking your car back to where it was originally fixed is the only possible solution you should think of "first". They should even pay for a tow charge no matter where you are located (most do if it's there fault, talk to them about that one first).

drillsergeant.gif Make them Pay!!! drillsergeant.gif