Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I am beyond stumped..

Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default I am beyond stumped..

I'm thinking this has to do with the engine so I decided to post my problem right here.

I understand theres tons of vibrations in the Tiburon but I think today mine was a little excessive. In the morning as I was driving to school everything was fine as well as when I was driving back..steering wheel vibration (that I just got used to) as usual at idle but thats it. Later on though I had to go somewhere else and at every stop light, everything behind the steering column shook so bad my keys were literally jingling. It was as if someone took your keys and just started shaking them around. I was testing the heat to see if that caused it but that wasnt it..all I got was the engine losing power as usual when you turn the heat or a/c on. It was raining all day over here but I think that had little to do with my problem.

I am beyond stumped..I got my transmission checked out and nothing was wrong with it and the mounts were good. I just got service on it as well.

Any ideas? The car has 44k.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 PM

Make sure the battery connectors are very tight and there is no corrosion, if there is clean it all off and scrape your battery connectors so that there is none one it

If that doesn't solve it get your battery checked.

This should basically fix it if its what i think it is, your rpm's drop way down when your stoped at a light, right?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I would check your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) it seems like the car was bogging out. Did your RPM's drop?? If so I could swear that may be the problem.

Check your Motor mounts too, that shouldn't be happening on such a new car. Even if the mounts are not the problem your car should not be shaking so violently. Did you take it to the dealer yet?? If not this sounds like an issue they would have to deal with.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Coilpack, plugs or wires.
My best guess is Coilpack
See if someone local has one you can test / swap out before spending some cash at the dealership.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:47 PM

I wish I could say I actually looked at the rpm's when that was happening but I didnt. I thought it was maybe the ignition coil or something..Im not too sure. My battery is basically new, I got it changed about two months ago. It seems like it may be the tps but I dont know. All I know is the keys were shaking beyond violently. Once in a while the car is really hard to start but like I said it's once in a blue moon. I know a car at such low mileage shouldnt be shaking so much, thats why Im questioning its actual mileage..though carfax says its been consistent. I dont know, maybe past owner abuse or a lemon, cause Im the 5th owner of the car.

Trust me the dealer knows me by face already Ive been there so many times. They deny a lot and say its all normal.

Everything is under warranty though so luckily I dont have to spend a dime.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 PM

^^ I agree with Kayjai... probably an ignition problem of some sorts.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

more problems girl? let us know how it turns out. ur not catching any breaks with your tibby. hows the other search going? ill hit you up next time i see u on aim, ive been busy...
Old 03-28-2005, 09:19 PM

^ yep. Hard to start is another reason why I would lean tward ignition.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 PM

QUOTE (alex01tib)
more problems girl? let us know how it turns out. ur not catching any breaks with your tibby. hows the other search going? ill hit you up next time i see u on aim, ive been busy...

Yep more probs..the tibby just doesnt like me. Hit me up Ill give you the scoop on everything. Of course Ill post it here too.

Im leaning towards ignition problems too guys.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:07 PM

having dealt with this in the past... how many miles on your tib and when was the last time you replaced your plugs and wires? I think your Tib needs a tuneup. I am also betting on the wires, but while you are there, might as well do the plugs too. This should also increase your economy and power some too.