Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hyundai Technical Bulletin

Old 07-29-2006, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i^^^Correct. Actually depending on the shifter it should help by giving you smoother shifts into gear instead having to "force" it into 2nd gear.
If he gets nowhere with this dealer he should try a different one. According to Hyundai America each dealer (franchisee) has the right to refuse warranty repairs for what ever reason they want. I had this issue with them back in the day when my starter went bad and the dealer I bought my tib from refused to work on it because the electrical system had been modified (professionally installed after market stereo system). After calling the Corporation to waste my time b****ing to them, I took my tib to a different dealer and they replaced the starter under warranty. No questions asked.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:27 AM

A short shifter in itself couldn't damage the synchros, but a badly adjusted shifter can easily. A mis-adjusted shifter (or rather, it's cables) can cause the gears and synchros excessive wear if they are not fully engaged during a shift.

Most of the people don't adjust the cables when changing for a short shifter, which is completely dumb. You change the geometry of the shifter, you *need* to adjust it; it's almost guaranteed that the new shifter will not be positionned exactly the same as the stock shifter. A little more to the left, a little more toward the front of the car... even if it's 1mm difference, it needs to be ajusted.

To those who said that a good short shifter shouldn't need ajustment in order to be a *good* short shifter, and even said that this was actually a criteria of quality, that's SOOOO much crappy information! Of course it needs to be adjusted! Do you have your rims balanced when you put new tires on? Do you get an alignement when you put new struts in? Do you make sure the needles in the cluster are at the right position if you ever pop them out (like you need wth *certain* gauges, I know you don't need to pop them with most of them)? Do you bleed the cylinder slave when you change the clutch? Do you reset the ECU when you install a mod?

Did *you* ajust your shifter cables when you installed your short shifter? Again, it might not be needed for you particular installation... but what if it is?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:49 AM

I was more referring to people "banging" the gears with the speed and "precision" the short shifter gave them. Personally, as I do not race, I see no reason for those devices. I could and CAN shift just as fast and with the same amount of accuracy as anybody with a short shifter.

Unlike many on this board and most drivers on the road.. I can also up AND downshift without using the clutch. I did it regularly on my tib and never had to "Force" a gear.. in fact, most of my shift was done with two fingers as I enjoyed feeling the gears interlock naturally.

If you really want to learn how to keep from mangling your gears, learn where the natural shift points are in your transmission.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:23 PM

^^ Not to be rude but that's simply not true. If you think you are fast and accurate now, try using a good SS for a while and you will never want to go back, and you will be much faster and more accurate than you are now. The amount of slop and necessary travel in the stock shifter is ridiculous. If you did try to shift as fast as someone with a SS, it would be nowhere as precise and you would likely be the one damaging your tranny.

A SS allows for better control due to precise shifts. It's a better interface with your tranny, I don't race at all and I wouldn't want to drive a car without one.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:59 PM

honestly, the difference between a short shifter and the stock shifter is probably measured in tenths of a second. When shifted quickly, the limiting factor is how fast you can move your arm and how well you can clutch. As for accuracy.. I will admit to occasionally missing a shift due to my not paying attention, but I NEVER missed one when driving fast.

It is all about driver skill. I CAN drive a truck, I am used to those long throws (from remarkably short shifters too) and can still put many cars to shame with how fast I could shift those large arse transmissions with shift linkage near as long as the accent.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Meh, the Tib has one of the simplest and easiest cars to shift with a manual transmission I've driven. I can get the car in gear in plenty of time before the revs drop for the next gear, no point in shifting before then. Never had shifter grind, never missed a gear, I'm not gonna monkey with something that works perfectly fine as it is.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Well..I talked to the kid last night and he said he went to the dealer with everything he printed out. Now they're saying they wont replace the syncros under warranty because his clutch is slipping, and thats the reason why he hears the crunch when he shifts from 1st into 2nd. He said his clutch is slipping, but the syncro problem stared before the clutch issue. So I told him to go to another dealer and try them. Plus, I told him he might be able to get a free clutch install too out of it. He already has a new clutch. So I told him if he can find a dealer that will fix the syncros under warranty, have them throw the new clutch in instead of using the old one (no charge to do it). He's gonna call around later this week and see if he can find a dealer to do it.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:18 AM

I wish him luck.