Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hvac Problem

Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

so about 2 weeks ago one morning, i start my car up with remote start from in my house. i leave the defogger on with full heat at night so my car is toasty when i get out.

i get outside, and get in. no heat. no blower motor at all. checked all fuses and relays, they were good. i turn everything off and drive to school cold. when i get to my garage, i try to turn it on. when the fan speed is on 4 it turns on, and blows out warm air. 1-3 do not work.

whenever the ac is engaged i get a squeal/various other bad noises from the compressor and also some really funky noise inside the cabin. if you go to sounds in your control panel and find "information bar" it sounds like that. only happens sometimes though, and seems like it has stopped. the air also doesnt feel cold when its put on ac & cold(got up to 80 here a couple days ago).

i can also hear some rattling around in the ventilation system, sounds like twigs. some of it got blown out and it is infact some kind of debris from the great outdoors. i do park my car under a tree and it will get some little pieces of pine in the cowl, but i've never seen it go all the way down.

what do you think? im pretty sure my ac compressor is gone, but the whole absence of blower speeds is weirding me out.

relevant additional info:

i have underdrive pulleys
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

the blower motor is controlled with a series of resistors. when it is low speed it uses the end of the resistors and as speed is increased there is lower resistance. im thinking you my have a problem with that somehow which could cause the blower motor concern.

as for the a/c it would be possible that some of the twigs or leaves got sucked into the ac compressor and wiped it out. or you could just have a very low refrigerant level but that wouldnt explain the noise really
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your condenser/blower motor under the dash has seized. Definately not the compressor. It may be that setting 4 just bearly has power enough to spin it. You need to get under the dash on the passenger side,

1. disconnect the battery power
2. disconnect the condenser motor's power wire
3. unscrew the 3 screws holding the fan in place
4. drop the fan out, it's kinda tricky, but it can be done if you work it just right.

Inspect the fan for rubbing or scraping. That information bar sound is most likely metal on metal. The reason it's warm air is because motors get HOT when they are stalled.

You can also try smacking the fuxor from the bottom on heater setting 3 to see if it causes it to spin.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:22 PM

refrigerant was filled a year ago...it's not that.

also it only blows out warm air when its set on warm. the heating element is working fine and the temperature control works good when im able to get air moving through.

ill have a look-see sometime soon.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

does it sound like there's some tape twirling around in the fan? i've had that in my tibruon, my dad's elantra, and my sister's tiburon. they went away.

well...i have no idea what it could be but it sucks that a new 2001 would be giving your problems.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 PM

i always get condensor and compressor mixed up. sorry for that. when its on high does it feel like its blowing as much as it should?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you can be pretty sure that it's not your condenser inside your engine bay, that would be nearly impossible from twigs... hvac water lines are separated from the air by a radiator basically. it compresses the liquid, goes through a radiator that removes the heat in the engine, expands, then goes into the cabin and goes through another radiator which blows cold air on you. Heat works the same way, just it's a radiator that comes from the coolant lines for the engine. If you're having a problem inside the cabin, it's really got to be the blower motor.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 PM

^^^thats what i thought initially, but its almost like i have a problem with both, and im sure it isnt by pure coincidence.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM

if anyone ever has a problem with blower speeds...

there is some kind of resistor coil that is held in by two screws right behind the blower in the passenger footwell. took it out, and noticed one of the leads was blasted off the circuit. soldered it back on and voila, fan works great. turns out i did have a/c too, i guess i just didn't let it go long enough.

im thinking this is a common problem for anyone who gets something in the blower and stops it up.