Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Houston, I Have A Problem!

Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so my tibby is now stored and yesterday i went to do an oil change on it for the winter storage and before i did it as i was opening the oil cap, i noticed there was a beige/whitish creamy substance on the cap and looking into the hole saw a bit in there as well.. i changed my oil and the oil was clean (well dirty but not creamy or discoloured). so i immediately freaked out and first thought was headgasket. I'm still unsure at the moment and i need your opinions and advice.

I think i may have blew a headgasket and coolant is leaking into the oil but i checked the coolant in the rad and its full and clean and so is the coolant in the resevoir looks ok too. I checked the dip stick of the oil and i saw a couple of tiny bubbles in the oil (i'm not sure about this one, maybe i'm freaking out and think i'm seeing bubbles when its probably not).

So let me just tell you what i've done with my car in the last month. For the first 2-2.5 weeks i've been driving it to work and home straight and not driving it anywhere else other than that. and my work is about 5kms from my house. and after that i stored it for about 2 weeks already and in that 2 weeks i've started the car once and just let it run for like 5 mins (but did not drive it).

So i asked a mechanic i know and he said that it could also be moisture thats built up in the engine causing the creamy crap i saw cause he said if i dont drive for long and only a little here and there on short trips its not good and can cause this problem and also the fact that i let it run for 5 mins and stored it is also not good.

so what do you guys think? should i be worried? my car is stored and uninsured so i cant even bring it to a garage to do a pressure test to see if its actually leaking from the headgasket. If its the headgasket i might as well build my engine and replace the rods and pistons while everything is off but i dont really want/have the money to spend on it at the time or even in a few months (i gotta get out of debt). So any advice or opinions as to what it could be and what i should do? should i be worried?

thanks in advance guys
Old 12-12-2006, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

calm down man, its most likely just moisture.

You shouldnt be worried until you actually see no doubt about it coolant in your oilpan or something like that. I think KR posted a nervous thread earlier too.

I had it happen to me before when it was humid and then cooled down to near freezing and i hadnt driven the car for like 2 weeks, and that was like a year ago and i have'nt lost a drop of coolant since, besides the coolant ive spilled on the floor and such messing with the radiator and radiator hoses hehe

go take a nice warm bubble bath and relax... wink1.gif
Old 12-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Mine is like that too. Do you lose much oil between changes? My Dad told me it was because I was blowing oil out the top(into my intake/oil catch can)
I'm pretty sure its not a big deal as long as you monitor your oil levels and do regular oil changes.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

QUOTE (NightShark @ Dec 12 2006, 04:49 PM)
So i asked a mechanic i know and he said that it could also be moisture thats built up in the engine causing the creamy crap i saw cause he said if i dont drive for long and only a little here and there on short trips its not good and can cause this problem and also the fact that i let it run for 5 mins and stored it is also not good.

your mechanic is right, don't worry man... it happens to me as well
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

happens every year to me when it gets colder. condensation. thats all
Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 PM

you are not driving the car far enough to get the oil totally warmed up to where it can start boiling off the moisture AND the combustion byproducts that get into it.

If you continue to drive it like this, I suggest more frequent oil changes
Old 12-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

More than likely same as this dude:

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=19404&hl=

dont worry about it.