Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hla/valve Ticking

Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My tib eats a bit of oil, and generally when it's getting a bit low the HLA's start ticking, which is my sign to fill her back up. Eeeexcept this time that happened and I gave it a full oil change (with a Hyundai ™ Authentic Filter ®) and it didn't fix it. She's still ticking loudly. Other options? Do I need to replace my HLAs? Valves?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The next step is to run an oil system flush in accordance with the directions on the bottle. I've used B-12 chemtool for it with good success but there are a hundred different lightweight petroleum based solvents out there. Then run a name brand light weight synthetic oil, substituting 1/2 a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for one 1/2qt of your new, synthetic, light weight oil. That plus a new Hyundai filter wink1.gif

If that don't cure it within 15 minutes of driving at low engine speeds (<3kRPM) then it may be time to replace the HLAs. Good news is I read they changed the part to a new one with a 2x larger diameter oil feed hole, so the new ones will actually be a better part. Just the HLAs should be fine, unless you were racing for a few seasons. If the camshafts are obviously damaged, they'll have to be replaced which is simple but not cheap. If the valves have deformed stem tips, that's the only reason to replace them, but they're not cheap OR simple. Probably all you would need is $100 worth of HLAs if they have gone bad.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

I had the same problem a while back, I replaced all the HLa's at $18 a piece (like stocker said not cheap,almost 300$ taxes in!) but the new ones are quiet....so far.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Do you guys know the part number for HLA's? The hyundai service tech I talked to yesterday couldn't find them in the system.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

22231-23001
Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Already using the OEM filter.

"Is that for the v6?" - Idiot at the Hyundai Dealership. Things he should know...

Effing A though, $20/each, so $320 plus tax... 349.20 for a full set.

Stocker what kind of odds would you give the flush at being successful?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

shrug.gif It's worked for me before, but my ticking has always gone away so far. A flush/change of the oil means it only ticks for a couple seconds afterwords, instead of a minute or two. Seeing it's the last stop before a full set of new HLAs I'd say another $40 oil change is the cheap alternative. Also cheaper than new HLAs is a complete used head. Find a used cylinder head, especially if you can get it with low miles, and pull the HLAs. Install them, then send me the intake valves if the engine didn't have a bad timing belt.

Of course you would send them free, out of gratitude that I gave you an idea that put you $300 ahead of the game! laugh.gif
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Oh hey, I just remembered I have a box full of head bits (including full valve assemblies) from the head I recently tossed.

Ok, dumb question: What does a HLA look like? smile.gif

I may have valves for you as well Stocker.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

The HLAs are stubby cylinders (going from memory) about 1.5" diameter, just shy of that in length. With a hole in one side to admit oil. Smooth/flat top for riding the camshaft lobe, sort of an indentation with a round button poking out the bottom to push the end of the valve.

If you know a part number and want to see the part, hit up GIS:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=2...sa=N&tab=wi
1st hit looks like the part I remember, looking at the 'bottom' side:

If you have the valves, you might have the HLAs. They had to come out in order to get at the valves. Look in your parts bin.

P.S. if you did actually send me free valves laugh.gif You_Rock_Emoticon.gif hail.gif biggthumpup.gif but I won't be holding my breath.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Not free, but make me a fair offer on the valves and they're yours. smile.gif I'll pull the box out tonight and make sure they're all in good order.