Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

HELP! Code P0343 Camshaft position sensor

Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default HELP! Code P0343 Camshaft position sensor

After this engine swap I have had so many issues it is ridiculous.. anyways, I won't get into all that now. I've fixed everything except for this.

Cliffsnotes here:

Got a P0343 stating the camshaft position sensor is getting "high input"

Replaced sensor

Replaced ECU

Tested wiring on harness found that pins 1 and 3 are both grounded.

Went to test "engine control relay" but don't know what/where that is?

What to do next?

Long version here:

First thing I did was replace the sensor. That didn't fix it. So I started doing some research... Eventually I ended up testing the 3 wires on the harness. Thing is, I've read the webtech wiring diagrams for both RD1 and RD2 and NONE of the wire colors ever match my car. My CMP harness has got a brown, blue/red, and blue wires. I know pin 2 (red/blue) is the signal wire which goes to pin 44 of the ECU, but I don't know which wire (brown or blue) is the ground and which is the +12v. In fact, I am not even sure if this thing is supposed to get 12v or 5v?

The wiring diagrams on webtech are AWFUL. You have to look at 10 different jpgs, and the majority of all the lines run off the page and say "See page AA-##" or something like that, whatever the hell that means, the images are not labeled with that system. It's impossible to follow.

Moving on.. I found this topic, in which Role Reversal mentions "if you are rev A I probably know what the issue is" - I AM Rev A. Unfortunately he never posted back with what he thought it was. https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...t-a-p0343-cel/

Anyway, so I test the 3 wires and both pins 1 and 3 show continuity to a ground. Since I know one of them is supposed to get voltage, I'm guessing that's the problem. I move on to try and test the relay (according to webtech troubleshooting chart), but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the "engine control relay" is located.

In this thread https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...sition-sensor/ I see Alex01Tib always talking about the "MFI control relay" - is this the same as the "engine control relay" mentioned in webtech? I'm assuming MFI is something to do with fuel injection, and according to webtech wiring diagrams that would be correct. With the relay unplugged, I can't start the car (assuming no fuel) - this makes me think that the relay is good, obviously, and must also be getting the correct voltage from the ECU (which is good because I just replaced it).

Where is the relay that I need to test? What do I do next?

Thanks!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra

The cam sensor wont be given voltage from a relay it would come from the ecu. 99% sure it should be a 5v feed. If there is no voltage there(with ignition on) then the ecu might be missing a power feed or ignition feed. In this case there may be a relay fault. If you havent already, check all your fuses.

If the sensor is getting correct feeds the other possibility is your cam timing may be out.