Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ok, I Got A P0343 Cel

Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P0343 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 •?? high input Wiring short to positive, CMP sensor, ECM

In the sticky, I found this code. I'm kind of an idiot so bear with me...

Is the most OBVIOUS thing to do going to be to replace the sensor or could it actually be a short in the wiring (please no!).

I've learned an expesive lesson over the last year (thanks to you guys). I borrowed a Cen-tech OBDII reader and in 2 minutes had an answer to my problems (I hope).

The CMP is about the ONLY thing I haven't replaced so far. Oh, well. At least I have a lot of new stuff on my engine! (and a bunch of working spares!)
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Well the logical thing would be to replace the sensor first. wires don't usually go bad, but don't quote me because they can go bad. We are known for giving bad information here.

QUOTE (97DerekTiburon @ Jan 3 2009, 10:30 AM)
I've learned an expesive lesson over the last year (thanks to you guys).

Why come here and ask questions if you are going to have a shitty attitude about it? fukyou.gif You should go get quotes to have stuff repaired and add about 3 hours off labor on top of that and see which would have been more expensive.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I think he meant that in a good way lol
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM

Hey, Role Reversal, I need to clarify a bit.

I'm very grateful for all the help I've gotten from you guys. The lesson I learned was only expensive because I didn't follow some of the advice I was given and I replaced a bunch of stuff that I didn't need to.

The "thanks to you guys" part was a sincere thanks for helping me in my time(s) of need including you in this thread.

I can see why you thought I was taking a shot but I definately wasn't as radu_rd2 mentioned above.

So now that I clarified my point, maybe you can take back the double bird-flip you posted. I know if it were me, I would've made sure the other guy actually had a shitty attitude before I spouted off but that's just me.

Plus, I thought quoting the guy above you was frowned upon here...
Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^^ owned.gif

i would try replacing the sensor first, if that doesnt work try another one just to make sure you didnt get a faulty one, then look into wiring (oh and make sure you can return the sensors if you get faulty one, kind of annoying when you cant)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

You can test for a short in the wiring relatively easily. Unplug the sensor and use a multimeter to measure the resistance between all pairs of contacts (on the wiring side). They should all be fairly big, probably at least several hundred or thousand ohms.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 AM

OK, put in the new sensor and it didn't fix a thing!

I still have the same CEL so it must be in the wiring? If the wiring checks out with my meter then do I suspect the new sensor is bad too (huge coincidence and a bit of a stretch!)? If the wiring is faulty, what then? Could this ultimately be a bad ECU?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM

What part of 97 was your tib manufactured in? if it was early 97 I may know where your problem is.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM

I have the VIN. WIll that help?

KMHJG24M2VUO43887

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM

go to hma online and find out through your vin when your car was manufactured and i may be able to tell you where the problem is.