Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Heat Refective tape on CAI?

Old 03-13-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Refective tape on CAI?

Hello everyone, I've heard of people using heat wrap on their CAI's to increase hp by lowering tempertures. I was looking for the heat wrap to try this at Auto Zone but they didn't sell it. Instead, one of the workers suggested that I try using heat reflective tape that they carry to patch up holes in the exhaust pipes. The tape looks like it's coated with some silver metalic surface that may be used to reflect heat. I could buy the usualy heat wrap at Jeg's or Summit buy I'm impatient and am thinking of using the heat reflective tape at AutoZone. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share on this? I would greatly appreciate it..
Old 03-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The only problem with the heat reflective tape is that it only reflects radiant heat, not ambient heat. The heat wrap is resistant to both radiant and ambient heat.

It wouldn't hurt to do both, but if given the choice of either/or, I would go with the wrap rather than the tape.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:34 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me Random. I guess I'll be patient and get the heat wrap.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:54 PM

Cyber shark, I don't know if there's one in your area but Jegs sells heat wrap. It's still pretty f'ing expensive for the amount of hp you'll get out of it. It's like $35 a roll and I don't know if that would be quite enough to wrap you CAI with. I don't know if it's worth it for you. It's a little more important to do something like that to charge piping on a turbo'd car.