Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Header question.

Old 05-16-2001, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header question.

Its my understanding that when you get turbo that it comes with an exhuast manifold. So if you owned headers and got a turbo, you'd have to kick the headers to the curb, right?? How far does a turbo kit go down the exhaust system, does it stop right after the manifold?? and is there differneces between different turbo kits as far as this question is concerned???
Old 05-16-2001, 03:28 AM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

yep you're correct headers go out the door... a turbo header would closely match the stock set-up...

differences in turbo kits, well there's a regular one using only the intercooler, and there's another that is including methanol... bigger gains with the methanol and thus more expensive....
Old 05-16-2001, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

How far does a turbo kit go down the exhaust system, does it stop right after the manifold?? and is there differneces between different turbo kits as far as this question is concerned???

The "turbo" manafold usually stops right about where your headers stop, or a little upstream of there. It varies with the design of the Turbo manifold, the size of the turbos..etc..etc..

Yes, there are differences in turbos. Some are small turbos that give quick boost with practally no lag, but they top out at around 7-10 PSI max boost. Other are huge turbos that have horrible lag, but give insane levels of boost. You need to match the Turbo with the characstics of your driving style and engine.

I'm not familar enough with the alpine unit or the Dragon unit to comment as to exactally how they are setup (turbo size, max boost..etc.). Your questions would be best directed towards them.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:47 AM

I have an Alpine turbo but have not been able to test it adequately because my car was crashed by the mechanic testing the car. But I can tell you this: Picks up at low rpm and is set at 0.7 bar (10psi) and rated at =-230hp. I have seen it in other cars to go higher but would not recommend more than 12 to 13 psi. For that you need to fool the wastegate with a boost valve which you can vary from the cockpit. And for lag between shifts and cornering a sequential blow off valve that will allow your turbine keep turning fast when you let go your accelerator pedal. Tips Get rid of the intake system (I had problems with a collapsing rubber part loosing all boost) and use termotech to insulate. Get an exhaust temp meter or air fuel mixture so that you are aware of it, if you go too lean you can perforate your pistons.And of course a boost meter duh!!
Old 05-16-2001, 11:19 AM

Grassy Ass!!! you guys are a big help as always. thanks