Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Having some issues..

Old 04-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Having some issues..

Ok, so my engine got waterlocked, were in the process of switching it. The engine we bought, was supposedly from a 2000 elantra..which would be the beta I, easy swap right? no. Started pulling things apart and comparing..and it'sa beta II, I checked the stamp on the block, it's XD20..beta II from an elantra..so obviously not a 2000. at least a 2001. Even better..the vin number is gone, so can't call with that.

Now..It gets better, I get to looking at my old engine block, and it's stamped J2__. This is a beta I from an elantra correct? I have an 01 tiburon..but ths makes sense, because the front motor mount, the bolt had stripped outt or something, and they made a ghetto rigged mount..but it works efficiently. so clearly it has been takin out before. But now, what do we do?

The engine I have, is for sure a beta I, the engine we bought, is for sure a beta II..it looks like the one in the back of the truck on this forum. not the one he had in already.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...#092;&st=20

We've switched all the sensors,and the coil pack. except for the camshaft sensor, because they're both three prong, the only difference is one is attatched to the motor, while the other has a wire. Do we need to switch these, or should it be fine?

Feel free to ask any questions..actually, please ask questions. And please give input on what I should do/what i've done wrong or not.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Link no worky.

The engines are easy to tell apart by the valve covers. The beta II cover is nicer (well assuming the engine has the original cover)
You should be happy, beta II is the slightly better engine. There is a beta I to beta II swap thread on rdtiburon: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=25891 Notice that it says that the camshaft sensor should be swapped too so I would just swap it to be sure (even if it plugs in)

About the J2 stamp I doubt they stamp the block differently depending on what car the engine goes into seeing as how its the same engine and all, but who knows (actually probably someone else on these forums knows lol)
Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 AM

lol I am happy, and mad. I painted my beta I cover lime green, with black valve cover and black timing belt cover. looked sweet. and now it wont fit >:|. and the fact that the dude completely lied about the engine, who knows how many miles it actually has on it..supposedly 27k from a 2000..got it for 650 even. but the vin number is conveniently gone..O.o...and yes, I saw that forum. That's how I got the idea tongue.gif. Hmm..did you try copying the link, and the part after it in grey? cause I tried it and it worked.

But also, the valve cover on this one, they didnt pull it when they puled the engine, and cracked a huge hole in it..not a big deal cause mine was supposed to fit it..but now i have to wait till monday before we can call the guy..and I need this running by friday, have school all week..and work. @!$@#%@$%#...Guess I'll be takin my gf to prom in a durango that says "baylor mom" on the back..haha oh well XD not my prom.

And I saw on RD, under the FAQ section, a list of stamps/codes or somethin like that. and it had for tibs, RD, RD2, and for elantras, J2, and XD..Any idea? maybe it was just for forum topics..but i figured it was meant for what's on the block.

edit: That forum is the one I tried linking, go to the second page, and you'll see what I'm talking about..if you don't mind.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I'd be more worried about the VIN number being gone than the fact that it's a Beta2. Sounds like you bought a motor from a chop-shop. Might be why he doesn't know what year it's from. I'd call your local cops and the cops in the area you bought the motor from. Probably lose your $650, but I wouldn't want a hot motor in my car.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:19 AM

That's also somethin we were thinkin about..but it was listed on that car-parts.com, and has the customary markings on it (ie. "F#####). We're going to go out there monday to get the valve cover, and will be questioning him about the VIN number..see if he has a good steady story and what not..
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 AM

You can swap over the other valve cover.. As long as the beta II is non-CVVT (I doubt it is, those are 2003+ I think)

I have a beta II cover on my beta I engine:

Just make sure to go light on tightening the bolts, it cracks easily.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 AM

mine is like the cvvt, but where they are supposed to have the sensor and wiring, etc. it doesnt. there's nothing. and it doesnt look like there ever was.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM

Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

if it has the cvvt bump but no cvvt that means it is a later 03 elantra motor like mine.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM

That's what I found out today, when I had to get the valve cover gasket. tried 01, didnt look right, looked up 02, didnt look right, then finally the 03 was right. So now we got all of that done,but gotta get a valve cover, and we're having to switch the oil pan from my old engine to this one, because I have the meghan racing headers, and they don't even get close to clearing this oil pan..and still dont really clear the other, but were just going to I guess have the people heat/bend the bottom of the headers a little bit.

Has anyone else had this issue? between the oilpan and headers?