Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Having Some Issues..

Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, so my engine got waterlocked, were in the process of switching it. The engine we bought, was supposedly from a 2000 elantra..which would be the beta I, easy swap right? no. Started pulling things apart and comparing..and it'sa beta II, I checked the stamp on the block, it's XD20..beta II from an elantra..so obviously not a 2000. at least a 2001. Even better..the vin number is gone, so can't call with that.

Now..It gets better, I get to looking at my old engine block, and it's stamped J2__. This is a beta I from an elantra correct? I have an 01 tiburon..but ths makes sense, because the front motor mount, the bolt had stripped outt or something, and they made a ghetto rigged mount..but it works efficiently. so clearly it has been takin out before. But now, what do we do?

The engine I have, is for sure a beta I, the engine we bought, is for sure a beta II..it looks like the one in the back of the truck on this forum. not the one he had in already.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...hl=\engine swap\&st=20

We've switched all the sensors,and the coil pack. except for the camshaft sensor, because they're both three prong, the only difference is one is attatched to the motor, while the other has a wire. Do we need to switch these, or should it be fine?

Feel free to ask any questions..actually, please ask questions. And please give input on what I should do/what i've done wrong or not.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Switch over the camshaft sensor as well.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, we've gotten this all sorted out. It's a late 2003 Elantra engine, so it is modeled the same as the 2004 cvvt beta II, but it does not have cvvt.

But now, We're having fitting issues with the headers. I have the meghan racing headers, and they do not clear the oil pan on the beta II. We mounted it up to my beta I, and it still doesnt clear, although only by a hair of an inch.

Has anyone had this problem? We're figuring the place we have make my mid pipe, might can just heat/bend the bottom somewhere of the headers, but idk if they will or not. If you have the meghan headers on a beta II, can you tell me if you had this problem please
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yes you are going to have modify the bottom of the header.