Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Got a new clutch put in...

Old 02-10-2005, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe
Default Got a new clutch put in...

So I finally got the clutch done laugh.gif: ... nothing too flash, just a fairly basic HD clutch. Exedy I think.
Had the flywheel lightened too as everyone said that it should also be done.

Now, I have a question... How long before the clutch is worn in properly? I don't know if it's just that my clutch had been so bad for so long & I'd just gotten used to it but this one feels really strange. I expected to have to apply more pressure when depressing the clutch pedal but it's actually really light... which I don't know if I like yet 02.gif
But my main gripe is that the Hyundai always had such a high take-up-point with the clutch pedal (since I got it anyway, which is just over 2 years ago)... which I thought sucked at first but that I soon became accustomed to... Now it picks up really low & is quite jerky really! mad.gif

Well, at least it's not slipping anymore! rolleyes.gif
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 AM

500 miles should wear it in
Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

... the clutch shouldn't be light and engage that low. I went to a high power cllutch when I swapped out my old stocker on the GSX, and I noticed a lot crisper pedal feel over the stock one.

You need to adjust the clutch free play. With the car off, the clutch should only move down ~8-13mm before you feel it meet resistance. This is basically what should happen on any clutch, any make or model or aftermarket piece.

With the softness of the pedal, I would wait until after the break-in period to see if its just not broken in yet. For the breakin, I wouldn't go over 3200 for the first 200 miles, and not over 3600 for another 200. Around 400 you can try low RPM, high throttle shifts to make sure its engaging properly.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:20 AM

You might also need to bleed the hydraulics on the clutch..ANY air in that system will make it feel like mush.. air compresses, fluid doesn't. I replaced the fluid in mine when I redid all my brakes... felt like a whole new clutch!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:23 AM

I think that I read this somewhere

miles proceedure
0-300 No hard launches, RPM under 5000
300-500 No hard launches, no limit on RPM
500 up Hard launches ok, no limit on RPM
Old 02-11-2005, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the engaging lower is normal. when i put my new clutch in (both times..., 1st wasn't my fault!!), I accidently spun the tires out of the parking lot (both times were on gravel).

but yah, take it easy on the clutch for a while. and don't worry about the current feel it will change anyways and you'll get used to it. I was thinking the same thing when i replaced mine.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 PM

I don't see how getting a new clutch makes the engagement point lower or has any effect on it... how old or new a clutch is makes no diff, the clutch should release where its supposed to. Generally the older a clutch gets you can get to a point where adjusting it doesn't help prolong its life... my Dad's flatbed has 190,000 miles on the stock clutch and its finally starting to give. Especially since a fairly new stick driver like me is starting to use it.

Like Mad said (meant to put it in mine, but had no time before school) any air anywhere can make it mushy. Same with brakes.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:42 PM

QUOTE (hamhead)
... For the breakin, I wouldn't go over 3200 for the first 200 miles, and not over 3600 for another 200. Around 400 you can try low RPM, high throttle shifts to make sure its engaging properly.

Hmmm... I probably should've asked before actually driving the thing around because those figures were blown clear out of the water within the first 10 seconds! :

The guy just said to take it easy for the first week or two... I got the clutch put in 2 days ago & I've been careful but not THAT careful! I've probably already taken it to around 4000rpm but that's it.

I'll see how it goes for the next week or two... but then I'll prolly want to know how to adjust the pedal, if anyone knows...
Old 02-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Hope not literally the first ten seconds... everything needs time to sit and adjust. For the first 500 I never took my GSX above 3k. Thats on 7.5:1 compression and below my turbo spool... 8 year olds on bycicles went faster than me. Worth it though... I've had 5,000 miles of pure 4800RPM launches and full throttle and no slippage.

Adjusting the clutch is kind of hard to explain, although it is really easy. Basically is just taking a wrench to the lever on top of the tranny until its within where you want the clutch pedal free play to be.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:58 PM

QUOTE (hamhead)
Adjusting the clutch is kind of hard to explain, although it is really easy. Basically is just taking a wrench to the lever on top of the tranny until its within where you want the clutch pedal free play to be.

???

Cheers anyway... I'll have to take a look at it when I get a minute.