Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Got My Clutch, Flywheel Kit.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got my clutch kit today, its part HY1-HDG6 from prostreetonline, and its an ACT clutch. Anyway, i just went to mock everything up and i think i might be running into a problem or i am just retarded.. but neway, i had the flywheel, contact surface up, then threw the clutch down (sticker says 'flywheel side') and then put the press. plate over it, and it doesnt sit flush on the flywheel? should it? or after i tighten it, hook up transmission, will the TOB pull it away from the clutch, so the clutch spins freely.. in these pics you can see the gap.

now i dont know it thats normal or not, the press plate is resting on the sprung hub part of the clutch. id figure it would be fine after i tightened it up, it would rest flush and the pressure plate would spring back.. heres some pics of the clutch itself.

heres some other pics, of all three of the pieces together, the flywheel itself, and the clutch sitting on the flywheel.. any opinions?

also, how many points are on the tiburon spline.. i counted 20 on my clutch..
Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

no it won't sit flush without pressure. Those angled pieces of metal are the spring that you feel when you push the clutch in.

Just got my new boss clutch in too.. valeo replacement. this one has 6 springs on the clutch pad and the pressure plate dosn't look the same as it used to.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Yup, completely normal man. Mine did the same thing (got a 6 puck disc from gripforce on ebay, looks exactly like mine except mine is blue.) and I called the company before I installed it. They said it is normal. Once you tighten up the pressure plate to flywheel bolts it pulls the pressure plate contact surface down on the flywheel just like it should be. I installed mine and have yet to have any problems.

One HUGE tip though is to make sure you only slide the TOB onto the input shaft of the tranny and do not use the snap ring to secure it to the pressure plate before attempting to install the transmission. If you put it on the pressure plate you will never get the trans on.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you do accidentally snap the TOB on the PP. I can get it off.

Ive got to the point where it takes me about 3 minutes, with only basic tools...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:07 PM

i doubt thats an ACT system man or do u mean jsut the disc
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
DTN

What's TOB stand for?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

throw out bearing...

the ACT stuff is the disk and the pressure plate, TOB in ACT.. the flywheel isnt ACT, sorry i didnt clear that up..
Old 10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
DTN

^^ which DIY are you using?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

his brain. wink1.gif

and maybe a shop manual probably.