Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Going into reverse...or not

Old 02-09-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going into reverse...or not

Sometimes when I try to shift into reverse it wont go in all the way, and it'll be another minute or two of trying before it actually goes in. I dont have a problem with any other gear except for reverse. It gets annoying when youre in a rush to get somewhere and cant even get into reverse. Im guessing the syncro messed up? Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ive had this problem before, i just shift into fourth and then go into reverse.. dont know what is happening or why but it fixes it... maybe it happens if we move the shifter too far to the right... try it, hope this helps
Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM

I had this problem until I adjusted the shift cable that attaches to the bottom of your shifter. Well actually I had this problem until I just got rid of the rSide shifter and got the ARK one. But anyways..... Do you have a short shifter or do you have the stock one? Also how many miles are on your tibby?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM

stock shifter, at about....55,000 miles. also i try the fourth to reverse. it doesnt work. in fact i go through all of the gears then to reverse and it wont go in.

EDIT

FOr further clarity it doesnt happen all of the time, maybe about...50% of the time. But when it does happen it generally takes a while for it to go into reverse
Old 02-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

just for comparison I have a regular shifter for now but im getting my short shifter in the mail soon..

Edit (just read your post)
oh well then thats not good...hmm
Old 02-09-2005, 02:08 PM

I know that there is a lockout on reverse so you have to go in Neutral first before it will allow you to go into reverse. But since it happens when you are sitting still I am not sure. I would have to say I really doubt it is the syncros due to your small milage and that you cant really do much to reverse. I know a decent amount of people have this issue so it may be just a fluke with our cars. But like I said, adjusting the cables seemed to fix my issue so it may be worth a try.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM

You might want to try this:
When you have the problem, just put the shifter in neutral and release the clutch fully, then press it again and try, that solves my issues with reverse all of the time.
If that doesn't do it for you, try this:
Engage any gear, and half release the clutch, just as if you were going to release it but don't, then repeat step one.
I don't know exactly what it does, but I think it kinda aligns the synchros or whatever there is to align inside the gearbos and there you go.
I think this is kind of normal in Hyundais, it happens to me in my wife's Elantra (1st Gen, owned since 0Km and very well preserved, only 40k miles on it, std shifter) and it also happens in my Coupe which has a short shifter and is only 30k miles used.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

When it happens with my Tib I do next. I put revers gear (as far as it goes without pressure on shifter) and slightly release clutch (continue to slightly pull shifter in revers). Shifter easily moves in revers.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Nothing wrong with your tranny, normal on a Tib. You can either:

A) "Clear" the gearbox by going into third then back into reverse.
B) Pull forward in 1st a hair, then put in reverse

I don't know why the tranny does it... but 'B' always works and 'A' works most of the time. "Clearing" the gearbox also works if your car doesn't like to go into any gear, such as 1st.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Common problem, searching would own you on this.

CLOSED.