Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Goddamn O2 Sensor Bungs...

Old 09-10-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

SO, I go to put my freshly coated Maintec GT headers in today, and right after I get the car jacked up, I go looking for the o2 bungs.

Hmm...

Let's see...

OEM has 1 bung near the collectors, front of engine, and one o2 sensor bung right after the flexpipe.

Hmm...

GT Headers, one o2 sensor bung AFTER THE FLEXPIPE!

GODDAMNIT! I specificly asked this before and was told that the GT headers came with all the bungs we needed. WHo here told me that? I THINK it was HKC, but I don't know, and am a bit pissed to go looking right now. I THOUGHT the first one had to be put into the first hole, and that there was one after the second cat. That's what I get for reading so many goddamned posts here.

So, I've got a few options right?

1. Ruin my new ceramic coating by getting a o2 sensor put in near the collectors.

2. Extend the o2 sensor from the first bung to the GT Header bung after the flexpipe. Hope I don't get a CEL (I also don't know how to solder), and get a o2 bung welded in after the second cat, put the second sensor in there, and waste that money (stock exhaust currently, getting replaced by the prototype Flyryde exhaust).

3. Extend the o2 sensor from the first bung to the GT Header bung after the flexpipe. Hope I don't get a CEL (I also don't know how to solder) and replace the second cat with a high flow cat that has a o2 sensor bung integrated with it, which I will need for the new exhaust anyways.

Issues?

1. I can't solder.

2. I WANTED to have this done for Nopi (Leaving on Thursday).

3. I don't have much cash to do anything with right now, so the Cat is probably not gonna happen right now.

I would LIKE to try one of those o2 sensor extensions, but which one do we get that will WORK?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

All you need is 4 wires. smile.gif Look at your 02 sensor guage and get the same or bigger.

I'm running 02 sensor right after the flex pipe and one right after the cat. No CEL.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 PM

I've got dozens of wires.

It still isn't working.

Dumb ass.

LOL

READ THE THREAD!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Honestly, learn to solder. It's _extremely_ easy and it will come in handy all the time. Just glob it on there if you are worried, it doesn't have to be pretty wink1.gif
Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I say the same thing as tanc, get some wires and learn to solder. It is not difficult to do.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM

QUOTE (tanc @ Sep 10 2006, 03:36 PM)
All you need is 4 wires. smile.gif Look at your 02 sensor guage and get the same or bigger.

I'm running 02 sensor right after the flex pipe and one right after the cat. No CEL.

on 97's, isnt that stock? only the cast mani's with the cat in front have the 02 right on the front.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:55 PM

Guys, you need to read.

Really.

Even Java.

I HAVE TO DRIVE THIS TO ATLANTA THIS WEEK! I HAVE NO SOLDERING EXPERIENCE AND AM NOT GOING TO TRUST MY HAND AT IT RIGHT BEFORE I HAVE A 3000 MILE ROUND TRIP COMING UP!!!

THERE ARE OTHER PROBLEMS!

I NEED ANOTHER O2 BUNG!

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD, SKIMMING ISN'T HELPING ANYONE HERE!!!

Damn.

I'd MUCH rather just pickup a harness extension that just CLIPS ON, as it would cost as much as the rest of the soldering kit and such.

But I'm STILL left with one o2 sensor and no place to put it. Hence shitty running and CEL for a week. NO THANKS!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:10 PM

in all truth, its not that big of a deal not running the o2 sensor. both of mine have been brain dead for years, litterally. and ive made alot of very long drives with no issues (well other then really crappy gas milage)

and you can buy o2 bungs at any auto parts store.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Grrr.... First off do not be afraid of soldering. It is EASY to splice two wires together. You could probably just keep your second sensor out of the exhaust for the week. Just make sure it is secured so it doesn't get damaged.

If you wanted to get a bung welded in after your cat it would probably cost about $25.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The first o2 sensor goes in the bung on the flex pipe. The second one gets welded on afterwards. You can run without a second o2 sensor, you'll have a CEL but you'll still be getting fuel readings.

The racing headers are the same way.