Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ghetto Gaskets

Old 08-01-2002, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto Gaskets

Ok, so I want to fit these 4-2-1 headers onto my car along with my catback exhaust, one problem, the units came with no gaskets.

So after watching the Simpsons last night I decided to put on something besides boxers for a change and go out to Wal-Mart and buy some material for this little ghetto project.

After roaming around the store eating Gummiworms for about a half an hour, I finally found something that will work. It was in the manifestation of a weird plastic (polythane???) vegetable chopping board that was around 1/4 thick. After nabbing about three of these, I managed to obtain a Exacto Knife and a Sharpie Marker.

Ok, so I finally get home, pop open another bag of candy, and get to work...

The first I did was coat the connector end of my header heavily with a Sharpie marker, than I pretty much pressed the entire thing against the chopping board in order to make a sort of a "stamp". After that, I just carefully cut the openings out with the exacto knife. When I was finished with everything, I placed the ghetto gasket upon the end of the header and just carefully trimmed the hell out of it untill it was fairly perfect.

Once I get my catback, Ill post some pictures and tell you how it all went...

Untill then...
Old 08-01-2002, 03:03 AM

better watch out being a plastic it might not be able to handle the temps..
Old 08-01-2002, 03:08 AM

Plastic? Um, yeah. You do know that exhaust gasses are about 3x hotter than the melting point of polyethylene, polyvinyls, acrylics....just about anything they would make kitchen implements out of.

Don't believe me? Put them in your oven at its highest setting for about an hour. Then guess what would happen in your exhuast flow, which would be about 300° hotter. wink

DISCLAIMER: NOBODY SHOULD ACTUALLY TRY THIS!!! Don't blame me if your dumb ass burns the house down or you suffocate your cat with the fumes. smile.gif

[ August 01, 2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Veniston ]
Old 08-01-2002, 03:18 AM

Got to your dealer and buy a gasket. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-01-2002, 05:49 AM

2K Wagon:
Got to your dealer and buy a gasket. rolleyes.gif
These are aftermarket parts from Bosal with no gaskets. They came overseas and I have no idea on where to locate other parts for them (gaskets)
Old 08-01-2002, 05:57 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

He meant your HYUNDAI dealer. rolleyes.gif Get some stock exhaust manifold gaskets and trim them to size.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:11 AM

skierd:
He meant your HYUNDAI dealer. rolleyes.gif Get some stock exhaust manifold gaskets and trim them to size.
Im actually going to reuse my stock gaskets, however, that really isnt the big issue right now, I'm trying to make a gasket that connects my 4-2-1 header to itself. Hopefully it will work for my Daewoo rolleyes.gif
Old 08-01-2002, 06:18 AM

You need one for between the pieces of a two-piece header? Measure the pipe size and count the bolt holes, they usually use standard size exhaust flanges, so generic gaskets should be available. Most auto part stores should be able to get you one if you ask for something like a '2 inch diameter 3-bolt exhaust flange gasket', or better yet, take the smaller piece in and have them figure it out wink
Old 08-01-2002, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

So ...let me understand this.

You bought a Bosal Daewoo header from somewhere.

It came without a gasket set for the 4-2 joint/flange, and no gasket for the end of the header joint/flange.

Now...incase you didn't know, Bosal has plants in 24 different countries.
http://www.bosal.com

I suggest you try to contact them and see if you can purchase a gasket set, or persue a gasket set from where you bought the header.

Worse case senario, take the header down to your local exhaust/muffler shop and ask if they have anything that will fit. You might be supprised at what they come up with that might fit.

Lastly, DO NOT use any form of plastic. The highest temp plastic I know of melts at about 900 Degrees. Your Exhaust gas temps can easily climb over 1500 degrees. If you are DETERMINED to "build" your own gasket rather than waiting for one. Go to your local hardware store. Buy some copper roof flashing. Also buy some 1/16" Steel Sheeting. Make a "front" and "back" gasket out of copper. Make the inner ring out of the steel, and "sandwich" it between the 2 layers of copper. Use a Vice grips to "crimp" the edges of the copper to fuze them together. If you are going to do it, at least do it right man.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the info Random, I've decided to throw away my previous attempts of a homemade gasket and am just going to roam around Tucson asking exhaust shops if they would have anything that would fit. Now I have to get rid of these two chopping boards, Modified Turbo-zet anyone?